• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do I have a problem?

I try not to be a gear queer. Take what you've got-- any reasonable choice, even if less than perfect-- and learn to use it as best you can. Focus on your skill set, not the tool in your hands.
Not a gear queer at all. All my other “hunting stuff” is very used or something I have repurposed. Heck I don’t even have a 6.5 Needmore.

I picked up a CVA .50 cal. muzzleloader from a member here for the muzzleloader opener. I liked it so much I used it all season long, bagging 3 deer with it.

I remember in the late 1980s or early 1990s reading an article by some famous gun writer -- Jan Libourel? Bob Mileck? Ross Seyfried? -- entitled "In Praise of the 2 MOA Rifle" or something like that.

His point was that he had a plain-Jane bolt action rifle in some non-magnum caliber that was unremarkable in any way, other than it was consistently a 2 MOA shooter, and if the crosshairs were in the right place when he broke the shot, he always got the game he was hunting. Even out to a few hundred yards. Rain or shine. At 50 feet above mean sea level, or on a mountain ridge at 11,000 feet altitude. Any popular brand of ammo, in any common bullet weight, shot to exactly the same point of impact out to 200 yards. Four-inch groups were fine. Even six inch groups at 300 yds. would let him fill his game tag.

Nobody who saw his rifle would think it was "his favorite" because he couldn't brag that it had a Krieghoff barrel, a second recoil lug, a 1.5 lb. trigger tuned by a gunsmith. The writer of this article had other guns that had such features, and cost 10X the price. The scope on "Old Reliable" wasn't a 6x-24x with a 50mm lens. It looked just like a pawn shop deer rifle, well used. But it felt comfortable to shoulder and swing on target. He knew that rifle like the back of his hand, and it always got the job done (when he, the shooter, did his part).

I read that same article and adopted it as my hunting rifle philosophy.

My lowly Savage 11 in 308 with old school technology Winchester 150 grain power points or Remington core lokts will always be my go to " meat getter " gun for the Georgia woods.

When I was tinkering with 1911’s, I would do something similar. Get an image in my head of a 1911. Build it. Shoot it. Get bored with it. Sell it. Repeat.
I get it. I do all of the handwork and reach the vision then it becomes just another rifle.

Well, there's nothing wrong with having a hobby of buying rifles and trying to optimize them for accuracy and performance, and then selling trading them. (As long as you don't think you need to have such a rifle to kill deer in Georgia.)

As long as "the process" is where you get your satisfaction, and when you sell or trade the gun it's not out of disappointment but the completion of a job well done.

I remember in the late 1980s or early 1990s reading an article by some famous gun writer -- Jan Libourel? Bob Mileck? Ross Seyfried? -- entitled "In Praise of the 2 MOA Rifle" or something like that.

His point was that he had a plain-Jane bolt action rifle in some non-magnum caliber that was unremarkable in any way, other than it was consistently a 2 MOA shooter, and if the crosshairs were in the right place when he broke the shot, he always got the game he was hunting. Even out to a few hundred yards. Rain or shine. At 50 feet above mean sea level, or on a mountain ridge at 11,000 feet altitude. Any popular brand of ammo, in any common bullet weight, shot to exactly the same point of impact out to 200 yards. Four-inch groups were fine. Even six inch groups at 300 yds. would let him fill his game tag.

Nobody who saw his rifle would think it was "his favorite" because he couldn't brag that it had a Krieghoff barrel, a second recoil lug, a 1.5 lb. trigger tuned by a gunsmith. The writer of this article had other guns that had such features, and cost 10X the price. The scope on "Old Reliable" wasn't a 6x-24x with a 50mm lens. It looked just like a pawn shop deer rifle, well used. But it felt comfortable to shoulder and swing on target. He knew that rifle like the back of his hand, and it always got the job done (when he, the shooter, did his part).
beware of the man who has one gun.........he probably knows how to shoot it. someone said that. I can't remember who.

Back
Top Bottom