DIY Survival Stool

JohnS

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
This won't save your life, but it sounds more dramatic than "I got tired of squatting to build camp fires and I just wanted a place to set down in the woods".

Something simple like a three leg stool, but lighter to carry.

IMG_2108.jpg

****MODIFICATIONS AT END OF THREAD****

How To:
I split the seams of the tote bag open and figured out how big of an equilateral triangle would fit on the canvas. Each side ended up at about 16.5" long.
Then cut corner pieces to make pockets for the sticks.

IMG_2105.jpg

After getting my daughter to load some heavy navy thread in the sewing machine and topping off the bobbin, the real fun began.
The three little pieces got one edge folded up and sewn. Then I ironed a fold into the large piece and set the pockets in place.

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

A few pins keep the parts aligned while I try to keep my fingers out of harms way on the sewing machine.

Things I want to try and tweak.

The center leg needs to be tied up about 2" above the other legs or else it sits off center. See picture #2

I think this will work with thinner legs even though I'm 212 lbs. These are about 1.5" wide.

I'll shape the top of the sicks a little thinner to take off some stress in the cotton.

Cut a sharp edge on the bottom of the legs to dig in and resist spreading out farther. I might even cut a grove near the bottom of the legs and run cord between them. That might unload some tension on the canvas.

Back
Top Bottom