• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

DIY Sauerkraut?

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
Anybody make it? Im wanting to get into making it for the health benefits, plus its tasty. Croc's are ridiculously priced so Im looking for alternatives from you guys. Also read where several people had issues with air getting to it and spoiling. Whats a good salt/kraut ratio?

Pikliz is all over Haiti. It's their version of sauerkraut or pickled slaw. I could eat it with every meal. When I got back this last time, I looked for a recipe. This is the one I use at home now. It's a little on the hot side, but you can control that by adjusting the habaneros. http://www.tropicalfoodies.com/2013...itian-slaw-that-will-make-everything-clearer/
I wouldnt mind trying that but Im wanting fermented kraut for the probiodic properties. That sounds tasty though.

Anybody make it? Im wanting to get into making it for the health benefits, plus its tasty. Croc's are ridiculously priced so Im looking for alternatives from you guys. Also read where several people had issues with air getting to it and spoiling. Whats a good salt/kraut ratio?

Alan, Missus' 3-5-7 will check her Sauerkraut Recipe later & I will PM or Post the Info...

I make sauerkraut and sour pickles. I like green cabbage more than red and like rye seeds in it. I don't do recipes, part of the fun of experimentation. You can get decent crocks for a decent price on Amazon.

How I salt kraut

I shred a butt load of cabbage. Put down a decent layer, sprinkle salt on it, then pound it with a thick wooden dowel and repeat till its full or I'm out of cabbage.

You put the weights on it and check in 2-3 days. The cabbage generally releases enough water to cover. You add salt water to cover if it's not. It won't need much though. There's kinda a salt to water standard that i use but I don't know it offhand.

The pickles have the same probiotic properties and taste good, but I haven't figured out a way to keep them crisp yet.

My great uncle made sauerkraut from his own cabbage, in Mississippi of all places. Would have loved to have had the crocks he used, but that wasn't meant to be.

So I've made my own. Truth is that there's not much difference between mine and the better grades sold fresh in plastic bags. I do like it with caraway seeds to fill out the flavor. IMO, not worth the trouble for something that is an occasional thing.

My great uncle kept his in a spring house, unless you can it or refrigerate it, it will go bad, and bad sauerkraut is REALLY bad.

In the category of something I know I could do if I had to, but I don't have to. If you persist in making it, make sure you use Kosher or pickling salt.

If you want a pro-biotic, make home made yogurt. I've done it successfully with powdered milk, brings the cost way down.

Back
Top Bottom