• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Disappointed in reloading handbook

FantomKnight

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting to reload my own ammo. I've been reading a bunch of stuff and watching videos. I decided that one of the first things that I should get is a reputable reloading manual. So, I ordered Lyman's 50th edition. The front portion is chock full of all kinds of useful information. Then, I turned to the sections for the bullets that I would be reloading, 9mm and .45ACP. That's where the disappointment set in. There was not nearly as much data as I had anticipated. For instance, in 9mm, I want to load 124gr round nose jacketed or plated bullets, mainly for plinking. There's no section for that. The only thing for 124gr is jacketed hollow point. That's it. The only round nose bullets listed are cast, and then only 90gr and 120gr. For the .45ACP, there is one section for 230gr and it's a TMJ. Why are there no sections for what I would say are very popular bullets? Now, I have read that you really should have multiple books. I thought that was because different publishers might use different brands of bullets, powders, primers, etc. I didn't anticipate that there simply would not be any data for popular bullet weights and shapes. But, how would I know which books to order that will have the info that I need? You can't exactly thumb through these things when ordering online.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep just what he said, pulled up hodgon site and found 33 different loads for 115. I am sure that I could find more than 50 in my manuals. Don't be so quick to give up. Do your research.
Oh I'm not giving up. That's why I came to ask the experts. And, yes, on Hodgdon's site, I found more than 20 promising loads for 124gr round nose. Thanks to those that pointed me there, and Alliant's site as well. I still would like to have data in handbooks though. I won't be at my computer while reloading. The computer would be on a different floor. Of course, I could just print out stuff from powder manufacturer's sites. However, I don't think that I would trust anything not from a powder, bullet, or reloading machinery manufacturer. It's too easy for idiots to post just anything on the Internet.

Yes I agree, I use sticky notes write down what I like. Research a little more, change notes, drop down 10%. Load 10, shoot and see what I like. I Am currently using be86 with 115gn for a 9mm with plated bullets. That only a target load meters nice and its cheap with low flash. I also use unique, power pistol, hp38/w231 all burns different. Invest in books Speer hornady,Lyman lee etc. look on line, hodgon is excellent as well as Winchester and alliant. Compare them all then decide which way to go. Just my humble option.

Back
Top Bottom