• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dillon Owners - Do you only use Dillon dies?

Any good quality pistol dies can be used. However, things wear after several thousand rounds, adjustments change, and I have found that using a dillon decapping die in the first station reduces mis-feeds as the die opening is bigger. Just a small deflection in the shell plate can cause a round to tilt randomly to where it hangs up on the rim of the shell in the first station.

Any good quality pistol dies can be used. However, things wear after several thousand rounds, adjustments change, and I have found that using a dillon decapping die in the first station reduces mis-feeds as the die opening is bigger. Just a small deflection in the shell plate can cause a round to tilt randomly to where it hangs up on the rim of the shell in the first station.

I decap all of my cases prior to running them thru my wet tumbler as a part of my case prep process... so that's not really an issue...but most certainly good to know.

I have a couple of Dillons a 650 and a 750. I use mostly Dillon Dies but like some others. I have a set of Redding Pro dies I use in 40 S&W and a set of Redding in 223. I like the lee crimp dies in some calibers like the 40 because it resizes the loaded round. I guess I should sell one of the loaders like the 650 since I really no longer need both.

Others work but the Dillon dies work best for me.

My Dillon 650 press setup is not the factory configuration.

With the straight wall calibers needing the be resized all the way down to the base, I resize once in the first stage with a Dillon die, then again on the second stage using a RCBS, Hornady, or Lee size die without the decapping pin installed. The powder goes in on the 3rd stage, bullet seated on the forth, and a crimp on the fifth stage.

Bottle neck cases do not need a Dillon Die’s beveled opening to help the machine run. I normally size and prime those on a single stage before moving to the Dillon. I keep a sizing die adjusted just far enough down to engage the cartridge body, but not the neck, without the pin installed, in station 1, just to help the machine run. No lube is required after the sizing on the single stage.

The spring loaded decapping pin in the Dillon is very good at making sure the old primers fall away, rather than sticking to the tip of the pin and jamming the machine or somehow being reinserted into the resized case.

I have a couple of Dillons a 650 and a 750. I use mostly Dillon Dies but like some others. I have a set of Redding Pro dies I use in 40 S&W and a set of Redding in 223. I like the lee crimp dies in some calibers like the 40 because it resizes the loaded round. I guess I should sell one of the loaders like the 650 since I really no longer need both.
‍hollar if you do..

For pistol nothing but dillon..so much easier to clean.. for rifle, lots of redding and Foster dies..most often a Lee factory crimp die for auto loading rounds

Back
Top Bottom