• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dillon 750xl primer issue

I would try just placing a small weight on top of the follower rod. I, also, as others on here have mentioned, used a 45acp on my 550. It works.

You might also try a different brand of primers. Some primers are slightly different diameters, and the edges that contact the Dillon’s moving parts are finished differently.

There is a specific procedure in the 750 manual to align the primer arm to the drop tube. You do have to look down the tube to see if the cup is centered when you have the primer arm all the way back.. the best thing I've found to smooth out the tubes is a flex-hone from BRM. Ball hone. I believe the one I use is metric. Would not surprise me if your tube is slightly bent. A 45 case on the end of the primer rod works well.

On my 750 I upgraded the drop tube by eliminating the plastic ends. Unique tek sells them. They are precision made of brass and work perfectly. I was lucky to be a part of the development and use them now on my 550s and 750..

There is a very good reason why dillon switched primer systems on the 750. Just look up 650 primer chain explosions and you'll have the answer. The 750 primer system is much better than the 550 as it sits in it's own station and does not get dirty like the 550..

so the follower rod has a bow to it, but this does not seem to be the issue. there is a very distinctive click as the primer goes into the pocket. I feel like the hang up is down lower. I did the procedure with the centering, but it still does this. I also ordered the brass tips for the tube.

The rod is so flexible, any weight causes it to sway all over the place A 45 case is not enough weight, but a 1/2 inch socket ( i think it is half inch) over the end is enough to make it run well until the last 15 or 20 in the tube.

May also try pulling the tube and taking some fine grit sandpaper and rolling it into a tube to fit inside. Sometimes there is a lip on the inside due to the cutting process. Does the problem exists with the other size primers? If it dont sounds like a problem with the tube itself.

BS on the socket needed verses a 45 case. You do realize the primer should drop freely through the end by itself. That is one of the test for the tube.. my primer setup has been perfect on my 750 since day one.

OP either has an alignment issue or a bad tube..

Several times I have simply sent an e-mail to Dillon tech support describing a problem and including my shipping address. I tell them to send me the parts needed and just to bill me for any expenses. Magically, parts show up in my mail box without a bill.

Back
Top Bottom