• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Diesel tractor help

Hasselhoss

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
168   0
Reaction score
I recently traded a rifle for a known defective tractor and bushhog. A little background:

Friend bought a refurb'd Yanmar 2210 diesel 2cyl 25hp tractor and a 4' John Deere bushhog. He used the combo for one year. One day he started down the road to go BH a field and it started screeching at him and losing power. He turned around and drove it home slowly and parked it. When he got home he found that it had no oil...

1 yr later I traded him an AR I built for the tractor and bushhog.

Today I decided to check it out. I changed the fluids and cranked it up. It started and ran. It sounds like a 2cyl diesel. I noticed, however, that it had smoke coming from the crankcase vent tube as well as the stack.

I drove it around and it performed well. I attached the bushhog and it lifted it and lowered it strong.

When I engage the pto with the bushhog attached it belches and dies. If I rev it up and slowly let out the clutch it tries to get it spinning but strains and dies. As this is happening smoke pours out of the crankcase vent tube.

At this point I am planning on checking the valve lash and retesting. If no change, I'll be getting a compression tester and checking both cylinders. That being said, I am guessing its a forgone conclusion that it will, at a minimum need rings and maybe bearings.

Thoughts? Ideas?

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_06_17_erepu5ar.jpg

Don't waste your time checking the valves. Tear into it and hope the bearing journals aren't damaged. I wouldn't crank it anymore cause I'd bet if there's no major damage no, there will be if you do.
It's not as complicated as most might think and there's tons of videos on it.

You've dang sure got some worn out rings at the minimum based on your description, I wouldn't rule out piston damage either. Crankcase blow-by only comes from cylinder pressure bleeding by. When you load it, it accelerates the leak rate because of higher cylinder pressures, diesel engines will also flame out when it gets really low compression Tear it down and face the music.

You've dang sure got some worn out rings at the minimum based on your description, I wouldn't rule out piston damage either. Crankcase blow-by only comes from cylinder pressure bleeding by. When you load it, it accelerates the leak rate because of higher cylinder pressures, diesel engines will also flame out when it gets really low compression Tear it down and face the music.

I'm afraid you're right. I'm going to pull the pan and head and see if I can get away with rings and maybe bearings without having to crack the tractor in halve.

No matter what I find I'm still way ahead over the $400 I had in the AR I swapped.

Don't waste your time checking the valves. Tear into it and hope the bearing journals aren't damaged. I wouldn't crank it anymore cause I'd bet if there's no major damage no, there will be if you do.
It's not as complicated as most might think and there's tons of videos on it.

This tractor has a 2T90 Diesel engine. Hopefully the crank is fine.

Back
Top Bottom