• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Die adjustment and set up. HELP!

I believe you. But it won't make any difference with the dead length seater. Having the brass in place is always a good thing, that way if you do pick up a seating die that does crimp, you won't crush your case by screwing your seating die body too far. A case being in the shellholder will have zero affect on a dead length seater.

How does the type of bullet effect the seater choice? Does the dead seater work better with or without cannelures? It seems to have worked better with cannelures in my experimentation.

Every time I have set the seater up with brass in place as described there is no pressure at all on the neck/ bullet. I measured them before and after and it seems that it's opening the case mouth even more after the seating process.! Is this really a resizer issue?

Also, I watched the videos on the lee site at the link posted.. When I make the final step and turn the due in 1/2 turn to finish the process, it kills my case! I had that video going while doing the process! Is this due to the style of my seating die?

If your bullets are loose, the sizing die is misadjusted. If you're full length sizing run the ram to the top. Screw the die body down till it makes full contact with the shellholder. Then turn it in an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

If you use the neck sizing collet die, bring the ram to the top, screw the die in till the body makes full contact with the shellholder, then add an additional full turn. It may require two full turns if your press cams over at what should be the top of the stroke. You should feel the collet close when the shellholder pushes up on it.

Don't use too much force on the Collet die when it's empty.You'll need to use a solid push on the handle to close the collet when you have a case to be sized. I think they say at least 25 lbs of force?

None of the dies are moving after I adjust them.. I made a tool to hold them precisely while tightening the jam nut.

Would a Lee factory crimp die help with any of this? What's the benefit of it?

I just dont know. kinda hard to figure, I've never had a problem with Lee equipment except sticking a collet one time and then breaking a decapper on some berdan primed brass on another occasion, both times my fault .
You do have the dies setup in a Lee press right?

No, a crimp die won't compensate for brass that's not sized properly. Most people don't use any crimp on rifle rounds. If you're crushing brass when seating, then you likely have a crimping die.

With an empty case in your shellholder, run the ram to the top of the stroke. Unscrew the seating insert several turns, then screw the die body down till you feel it make contact with the brass. At this point, unscrew your die body 1/2 turn away from the brass. No contact with the brass.

Charge the case, and unscrew the seater insert even more. Put a bullet in place and bring the ram up till you feel it make contact with the seater or it stops. If it stops before making contact with the seater insert, turn your seater insert in till you feel it make contact with the top surface of the bullet. back the ram down just a bit, turn the seater insert in a bit, then return to the top of the stroke.

Repeat this intil you have your desired seating depth. At this point there should be zero chance of case damage?

So perhaps my real issue is the resizer? Perhaps I am depending on the seater do do more than just seat the bullet in the case. I believe I have had a false understanding that the seating die also provides a type of roll crimp (slight) on the case as it seats the bullet to the proper depth.

Whats a good way to know if the resized case is the proper size prior to seating? Mine have been the size thats posted in the Lee instructions, but it is simply too loose without further crimping.

Back
Top Bottom