• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deliberate and focused fire or how to overcome spray and pray.

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I noticed this morning at the range that my biggest problem is I lose focus. I know that I should shoot more with others. I generally fondly load a few rounds at a time. Otherwise I don't focus and just shoot. I think this is a reason I shoot snubs well is I know I have to focus on trigger pull and grip or I'll never make the shot. I think da slows me down. Trying to figure out how to keep from getting lost in the moment. I go in focused and with a plan but when the moment hits it's like I throw it out the door. Like a buck in heat. I'm sure he has a plan but then gets a case of stupid.

Discipline my friend.

Find more interesting and challenging drills that force you to pay attention.

Limit round count. Most shooters lose focus after the first 50 so stick to that number to start.

Short spurts of training will do you more good than long drawn out sessions that you are only focused on the first few minutes. Good practice makes perfect, bad practice is just a waste of time and money.

This weekend I shot in a bullseye type bowling pin match and the same defect in my shooting was very evident. Thirteen bowling pins and twelve rounds of ammo, the close ones were about 15 yards, far one was about 50. With a revolver I left two up, and not the far ones. I shot single action and every shot was deliberate, I missed two I should've easily hit because I think they were easy and didn't put the care into it I should've. With my carry gun, a g19, I left a ton up. I shot way faster than I should. There's no way it's accurate as the revolver but I can hit fairly consistant at all the distances except the farthest ones.

I need to type out a drill. Take just enough ammo to accomplish drill and then go home. This is hard because I have to drive to shoot etc. Then again 50 well placed shots beat 200 scattered ones.

We overcome what your talking about by shooting drills with friends and we use IDPA targets and a timer and loosely keep track of each others best. It spreads out ammo consumption because we rotate through the drill and and using the accuracy plus time matrix will give you an indicator of what speed levels you can satisfactorily perform at. If you do this with other quality shooters a lot of good tips get shared as well. Good luck just remember that it's not "practice makes perfect" it's only "perfect practice makes perfect".. If you practice flawed fundamentals your practicing being worse.

One of the best ways to really LEARN how to focus on what is important in "Making The Shot" is to duplicate the Bianchi Cup Falling Plates Stage--Six Eight-inch Plates at 10, 15, 20 & 25 yards, shot twice at each distance for a total of 48 shots fired...

From the Holster, Time Limits are 6 seconds at 10 yards for each String, 7 seconds for each String @ 15 yards, 8 seconds for each 20-yard String and 9 seconds per String @ 25 yards...If you are shooting a Five-shot Snubby, SUBTRACT one Second per String--You can work at this A LONG TIME before you EVER shoot it "Clean", so it is QUITE CHALLENGING--HTH--mikey357

I got a lot better at rapid fire by timing myself on 5-shot strings, and not trying to reduce my time UNTIL I was good enough to keep the hits in the black.
If I were, for example, doing 5-second times for those 5 shots and only hitting 3 or 4 in the black with a couple flyers, I would slow down to 5.5 or 6 seconds and make darn sure I had a good sight picture and trigger press and get a few 5-shot groups that were tight, right in the bullseye.
Having done that, I'd go back to 5 second speeds. And usually the groups would be good. I'd confirm that I didn't just get lucky by shooting 3 or 4 of those targets in a row, with five shots each, all around 5 seconds each, before trying to speed things up.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is accurate. Smooth and accurate will become faster. Just don't lose the smooth and accurate as you chase the speed factor.

Back
Top Bottom