• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dehydrating food for camping

ArmedVet

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a week of cold weather camping. I started wondering what food would be good to dehydrate for this trip? I make my own jerky, fruit roll ups, and dried fruit for trail-mix. Someone on another forum suggested dehy pasta sauce... Has anyone tried this? What else would you dehy for camping?

Last edited:
From what I know ... (which is very little) ... almost any vegetable or fruit is a good option for dehydrating with the understanding it can be added to a soup, stew, or eaten alone once reconstituted. Carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, peas, cabbage, broccoli, etc.

I have eaten the MRE type meals from REi that are not exactly gourmet, but weren't as bad as I had been told.

Have fun on your trip.

Something else a buddy of mine has been doing is meal in bags. He uses meals in jars recipes to make meals and put them in freezer bags. You could put them in food saver and vacuum seal them.

Something else a buddy of mine has been doing is meal in bags. He uses meals in jars recipes to make meals and put them in freezer bags. You could put them in food saver and vacuum seal them.

Last time I was on the AT there was a group of people where we set up that did this. I am for sure doing it before I go out next time.

Back
Top Bottom