Deer Mount.... I'm P.O.'d!!?

Rzr570

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Finally got my deer mount back from the taxidermist last week. This prick has been holding it since mid-January of last year. Anyway, when I picked it up, I noticed a pungent smell, but quickly discarded it due to the over all stench of this place of business. After getting it home the smell has not gone away... It smells like "a buck in rut" if you've ever smelt that... Pretty strong odor. I've done a quick search and it appears this moron has not treated the cape properly and this thing is rotting! I've called the taxidermist, but I've received NO response. Looks like I just flushed a few hundred down the drain... Sad part, this taxidermist did a turkey for me a few years back and it was great... Now his son is running it and the workmanship is down the tubes!
Nothing like waiting 14 months (almost) and getting this pathetic excuse back. I'm super pissed off....

..Rant over...

how does he prepare the capes? many taxis freeze dry them now, the one I used still fleshes them and tans them the old way.. If they don't dry them enough they can smell..

Last edited:
once again as with all these type threads. name the company. complaining about a terrible business does none of us any good if we dont know who it is.

Man I hate that for you. swampbuck62's advise seems good to me. Hang in there and just dont quit until they deal with it. GOOD LUCK!!!

once again as with all these type threads. name the company. complaining about a terrible business does none of us any good if we dont know who it is.
I didn't name the company, because it's a small taxidermist is BFE, Alabama... Helms Taxidermy.

a little late for that once you take possession, I would go talk to him if he will not return calls .. Maybe he will remount most taxidermist have extra capes on hand..

just talk to him like an adult and don't nut up......
Kid called me back this evening and I explained the issue... He got pretty defensive at first... Eventually we agreed if it still smelled after a week, I'd bring back and he'd make it right. I know chit happens, but this guys had my mount for well over a year... I expected better.

Back
Top Bottom