• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Deer Hunters -ANDROID PHONES-read this-it's important-you may be about to screw up

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
This part is probably old news, but Georgia DNR has gone all 21st century on us, and now instead of tagging your deer, you use an app to report it.

If it's not old news, here's the link to the app, which you need to download to your phone.

http://georgiawildlife.com/outdoors-ga-app

If you have an Android (Google phone) make sure you read and heed this admonition,

Some of the Go Outdoors Georgia app features, including the license sync, require Android version 5.0 or greater.

How many of you know what what version of Android you are using?

If you are using a version earlier than 5.0 you will not be able to report your kill via the app. You will not be able to access your license

Android version 5.0 only went into general release less than a year ago, so you should check your version, and then find out IF you can upgrade to 5.0.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO UPGRADE YOUR PHONE TO 5.0, AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE GA DNR APP UNTIL YOU BUY A NEW PHONE.

YOU CAN INSTALL THE APP, IT WILL SHOW UP IN YOUR LIST OF APPS, BUT YOU CAN'T USE IT.

A SIMPLE TEST IS TO SEE IF YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR LICENSE INFO. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS YOUR LICENSE WHICH YOU CAN USE IN LIEU OF THE HARD COPY. IF YOU CAN'T ACCESS YOUR LICENSE THROUGH THE APP, YOU WILL NEED THE HARD COPY, AND A PRINTED HARVEST RECORD, AND WILL HAVE TO CALL IN YOUR KILL (HERE'S HOPING YOU HAVE CELL SERVICE).

YOU CAN'T TAKE THE DEER TO A PROCESSOR WITHOUT THE DNR HARVEST NUMBER.

call in? processor? WTF? If I cant call from the phone I have then they wont get a call at all

You can call from your phone and get a number (report your kill). You just can't use the app if you want to just punch it in. Also you can't retrieve your license. Remember this is only for Android Vers. <5.0

Let me elaborate a little more.

If you have Android 4.x.x, you can download the app and it will show up in your list of apps. I have a feeling that is what a lot of people have done. They have downloaded the app, and they are raring to go hit the woods.

Then they are going to kill a deer and try to report it with the app, and that's the SHTF moment when they find out it won't work, and they aren't really going to know why.

If you have a printed harvest record, and you call in your kill, you can complete the harvest record, and you are good to go. But you have to be aware of this and be prepared.

The need for 5.0 is buried in the boiler plate on the app page, and I just have a feeling that most folks are not aware that it's not going to work with early versions of Android, which includes most of the Android phones out their.

Back
Top Bottom