• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DEER CAMPS

1634958333041.png

We had a visitor once in Greene Co back in the late 80s maybe 90 or 91 that arrived with a more laid back member, about 2 hrs after the evening hunt. He stood in amazement for a few minutes, watching and listening to all the regulars.I was always a lite drinker at camp and noticed the nervousness he was showing just being around these guys( Who are some of the best folks in the world,by the way, if you grew up with them its like a brotherhood.) Well I walked over to introduce myself and offered him a beer. First words from his mouth after not accepting the beer was," do you let these men hunt in these woods with actual guns". Needless to say, the visitor slept in that morning, and was gone when I got back to camp. I have much better stories than that. But let's hear some of your stories first. That way I can kinda get the feel of what everyone can handle hearing.

I can remember the early 70’s before people started leasing land,you could go by the ga Kraft office and get a permit and hunt thousands of acres for free.it was a really big deal to get drawn for a piedmont doe day hunt.people don’t realize how scarce deer were back then.you may hunt all season and not see 10 deer.

I was in a big club in the late 70’s that had 80 members on 8000 acres at the end of the year we would clean up the camp one year they were 205 empty 1/2 gal liquor bottle (lord Calvert mostly)sitting behind the cooking shed.i was only a teenager then they would call the liquor store and order 5 cases at a time and send me to get them.

Back
Top Bottom