• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dawson Forest nuclear reactor site.

I was born and raised near Lewes Beach DE, right next to Cape Henolopen.
We used to play in the underground bunkers. Out of no where all the entrances were filled in with dirt. They're selling off all the machinegun towers now, people are convertting them into beachfront homes. Those things were abandonned junk when I was a kid.

And if it wasnt do you really think they would tell you.?
Radiation is not the only thing burried underground out there.
Look at Paris Island in N.C. if that gives you a clue.

LMAO. You have absolutely no idea what radiation is do you? Though I'm certain you don't know what types or levels of radiation are necessary to cause harm to people..

I thought I'd posted to this thread, but since I didn't see it, this is a post about the place I made on ADVrider:

Me and my friends played three about 20 years ago. (We were in our late teens). I've been very far underground. We went down in a sink hole, about 10 feet under ground, into a tunnel of concrete impregnated plywood walls (at least it had woodgrain texture), that had a grade of about 7-10 degrees. It was wide enough to drive a jeep or forklift down. We took rubber rafts with us, and got back in a couple hundred yards and paddled into an old computer room. The were GE computer frames that were two stories high. The water was crystal clear, and we were 20+ feet above the floor. We went down a corridor into an elevator shaft. The 500,000 candle power beams of our flash lights couldn't see the bottom of the shaft. The were stairs that went further down into lower rooms as well.

We went into another area (when you park, you're on the roof of this building.) that was a couple stories down, and we were basically in the area where A/C units would be. The was a concrete ceiling over us, and we were standing on concrete. There were conduit pipes that went down in the lower levels.

We met a guy that lived there and was a teen when the facility was closed down. He said they started flooding the place, and took all major pieces of equipment out, but left a LOT of stuff behind. He said he'd gone down a stair well that went down several stories before the air got so stagnant he couldn't breathe good. He said when it was in operation, there were vent shafts on the mountain nearby and that the mountain had a whole building under it.

They were trying to develop a nuke powered supersonic jet. The reactor was an open air reactor and used water fro mthe Etowah to cool it. A report came out a couple years after we were there that stated the trees in the vicinity of the reactor shaft were still highly radioactive. It was contaminated within as far as a couple hundred yards of the shaft. When yo go, you can still see the shaft tower. It's surrounded by fence now, but at the time you could just walk right up to it. The fencing is well within the radioactive zone.

My fiance' and her brother went for a 2hr hike here today. She found the parking lot, and some of the platforms but that's it. The dogs started overheating to they hadda turn back. Gonna try to hit it with them next time [its a littler cooler]. They ended up having to carry the wiener dog the last 30 mins cuz he just gave up and didn't wanna walk anymore, poor little guy =(

-Carlo

^^ Let me know when you go, Carlo. I'm tagging along.

Resurrecting an old thread...

We explored some of the tunnels back in circa 85-87 when I was in college up the road a few miles.

We jeeped all over the place those years, had no idea it was hot at that time.

Last edited:
don't know how I missed this. we use to go there in the late 70's and have driven pretty far into the tunnel with dune buggies and dirt bikes. last time I was there was 85 I think and the tunnel was back filled.
interesting info never heard about the two headed deer though but know lots of folks that wouldn't hunt there.

I was up that way today meeting a guy to buy a car part from CL. He lives near the area apparently (according to earlier conversation). We chatted for a good long while about all sorts of stuff when we met up. We got to talking about outdoors stuff and hunting (and airforce planes and stuff) and I mentioned that I'd like to go visit that area one of these days cause of the Nuke bomber stuff they did, (been fascinated since I was a kid, as I think nuke power is underused).
Anyhow, when I mentioned it the dude's demeanor changed markedly, not hostile, just more surprised and kinda dismissive of the idea, he then changed the subject to an earlier topic. Creepy, or possibly just misread, im not exactly a people reader.

I was up that way today meeting a guy to buy a car part from CL. He lives near the area apparently (according to earlier conversation). We chatted for a good long while about all sorts of stuff when we met up. We got to talking about outdoors stuff and hunting (and airforce planes and stuff) and I mentioned that I'd like to go visit that area one of these days cause of the Nuke bomber stuff they did, (been fascinated since I was a kid, as I think nuke power is underused).
Anyhow, when I mentioned it the dude's demeanor changed markedly, not hostile, just more surprised and kinda dismissive of the idea, he then changed the subject to an earlier topic. Creepy, or possibly just misread, im not exactly a people reader.
Get a Geiger counter and learn to use it. Most areas are probably safe, The HOTCELL building is the one I would be concerned with. The reactor was not that big (LOOK AT THE FILM) who can say they didn't just throw it in the hot cell building before they sealed it?.... I don't trust the SOBs that would radiate the forest to death, just to keep their bloody job.

Back
Top Bottom