• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dash Camera

What's a good brand? Need one with good video and wide angle lens. I need a forward looking camera for my dump truck and flat bed. I'm getting a new truck, what is your thoughts on a front and rear looking camera? Need a good education before I spend money.

If you choose to go with forward and rear facing you should be able to disable the rear facing if you decide later you don’t want that recording. (Can be used against you in a law suit)

What's a good brand? Need one with good video and wide angle lens. I need a forward looking camera for my dump truck and flat bed. I'm getting a new truck, what is your thoughts on a front and rear looking camera? Need a good education before I spend money.
I install a ton of Verizon equipment in fleet and commercial vehicles. Having said that, I also get a lot of repair tickets for Verizon equipment. Also, Verizon customer service is a royal PIA from what I hear pretty regularly. I definitely do NOT recommend Verizon to anyone, but if you must, get one of their newer AI cams. They have two models, one comes with attached driver facing cam and one does not.

If it were me, from what I've seen and dealt with, I'd would go with GPS Insight. Seems to be a really good camera and I have yet to hear of any issues with their equipment. The dashcam has both front and rear facing cameras, but if I recall correctly it does come with a lens cover should you decide you don't want/need rear facing cam.

Surfsight makes a pretty good camera also, but I have very little experience with it. There are some other alternatives out there, but we either don't install them or they aren't very popular.

I'd say dashcam wise, Verizon and GPS Insight make up the bulk of what our customers are using. GEOTAB is a great GPS device, but I'm not certain if they offer a dashcam at this time or not.

I've installed dashcams in several dump trucks and a good many similar or larger size trucks. Generally, in something like that, you don't really need the rear facing cam unless you are concerned about what the driver is doing.

Everyone should be running at least a front facing camera. Just get one that can connect wirelessly with you phone for transfers and is at least 1080P resolution.

I only need forward facing camera in the dump truck and flat bed. I have ordered a 2023 Ram. I would like to record as many different angles as possible if something were to happen to this truck. My son will be driving the flat bed truck, would like to have evidence if he has an accident.

I only need forward facing camera in the dump truck and flat bed. I have ordered a 2023 Ram. I would like to record as many different angles as possible if something were to happen to this truck. My son will be driving the flat bed truck, would like to have evidence if he has an accident.
I'd still recommend GPS Insight.

Verizon cameras are usually pretty good, at least the newer AI ones. Their GPS trackers are what I usually see the most problems with, but again Verizon's customer support is garbage.

I can give you my company owner's name and number. He has been installing these things for around 10 yrs and may have more insights about what is out there and what would be the best fit for your situation. I'll send you a pm.

Back
Top Bottom