• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DAHLONEGA GA

How small are the shafts.. I get real nervous in tight places

95% of the tour is on the actual working mineshafts, which meant that they were at least big enough for a small rail cart to ride on rail tracks filled with rock that the miners dug out. Plus there had to be room for miners to walk in and out and pass each other along the way, carrying their tools.
So the shafts are plenty big, like 7 feet tall and 7 to 12 feet wide. But plenty tall. Six to 18 feet.

There are some areas that they blasted out of the rock just for people to walk on foot without carrying equipment and without having any vehicle to haul debris.
Those sections are very few and short distsnce, but they're about 2 feet wide.

I am not sure when exactly it was, but it seems to me that about 3 or 4 years ago, around this time of year, I went to an event at Camp Merrill in Dahlonega hosted by the Army Rangers.

They had lots of cool static displays, a place to let you shoot some blanks out of a M240B, Ranger swag Vendor's, Burgers and Dogs, and a really cool demo exercise that involves fast roping out of Blackhawks, HALO Jumps onto a 10x10 target, repelling a mock ambush complete with artillery sims and loads of blank fire, some helicopter dustoffs, and I believe it ended with a SPIE extraction via Blackhawk.

If I were you… I’d get some food on the square, hit Dahlonega gold and pawn. Vogel state park and Lake Winfield Scott is where I’d do a little fishing, swimming and hiking.

If you're interested in going to other towns in North Georgia besides Dahlonega
you could go 20 miles away to Cleveland and visit the Cabbage Patch baby hospital!
:boink::bolt:

Back
Top Bottom