• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CZ SP-01 Phantom 9mm

blackplague14

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
48   0
Reaction score
I just picked up this CZ SP-01 Phantom 9mm this week. budsgunshop.com had them for $520 with free shipping, but I wanted to get a hands-on feel for the pistol before purchasing. None of my regular local shops stocks CZ, but Adventure Outdoors had one in stock for $540. They were also having a 10% off moving sale, so I got out the door for $515 including tax.

The Phantom is a full sized, polymer frame pistol. 18+1 capacity with full picatinny rail. Traditional DA/SA with decocker.

Ergonomically, it fits my hand better than any other polymer framed pistol that I have tried. It comes with two different sized back straps. I am using the smaller one that was already on the pistol when I purchased it. Magazines drop free and are quick to insert. The double action pull is typical of a CZ, a little gritty, heavy and long. But it is already smoothing out after a couple hundred dry fires and a couple of hundred rounds thru it. The single action is much better, probably a little better than my stock Browning Hi-Power.

The pistol was surprisingly accurate, even though most of my shooting was aimed doubles starting with double action. Boom, Boom, decock...repeat. But I wasn't shooting for groups today and only have the picture of my 11 year old son's target at 7 yards.

The pistol functioned 100%. I shot the first 3 rounds, then handed it to Max. He shot the next two mags though it. Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ. I figured if it was going to act up the weaker wrist of a kid and the light target loads would do it, but we had no stoppages of any kind. He shot approx. 100 rounds thru it, and I shot another 100 or so, ending with a magazine full of Speer Gold Dot 147 grain subsonic.

I will update this post if the pistol ever decides to do anything stupid, or any upgrades or repairs are performed.

So here are the pics:
i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_011_6.jpg

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_010_9.jpg

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_004_10.jpg

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_005_10.jpg

I don't have one, but one of my friends has one I shot a while back. When I shot it he said he had put around 900 rounds through it so far with no malfunctions period and no cleaning. This is just a fun pistol for him, he said he is just going to keep shooting it until it starts malfunctioning then he will clean it....And from looking at how dirty it was, I believe him when he said he hadn't cleaned it in 900 rounds...lol...He does that with all of his guns....I'm starting to think it's not about testing reliability but more that he is just lazy and does not want to clean them...He was Army infantry for many years, and he hates cleaning guns now...lol

I thought it shot VERY good, and was very accurate for what it was, hope you enjoy it!

We put another couple of hundred rounds thru the Phantom today. I mostly had my 14 year old son, Nathan, loading 3-6 rounds in each mag for me, so I could practice reloading quickly. We ended up intentionally picking up a spent casing off the ground and mixing it into one of the magazines. I was hoping to get to practice clearing a jam.

The pistol actually fed the dirty, empty brass! When it "clicked" on the dead round, I practiced the Tap, Rack, Bang. I am really happy with this pistol so far.

Here is Nathan with the Phantom:

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_014_2.jpg

Quick update:

I had the first failure of any kind today. I believe it to be ammo related, but figured it was worth mentioning under this review. My practice ammo is stored loose in an ammo can. It is a mixture of whatever I find on sale, so Winchester, Remington, and PMC. I was again practicing aimed doubles with a tactical reload. Shoot twice, decock, mag change, repeat.

One round sounded funny and had very light recoil. The spent brass was still in the ejection port. Not really a stove pipe jam, as the slide had barely come back far enough for the brass to clear the chamber and hang up on the feed ramp. I cleared it and continued shooting for another 100 or so rounds with no problems. I have shot this pistol around 800-900 rounds so far with no other issues. The weak round was a Winchester white box 115 gr. FMJ.

I also have an SP01-Phantom. It is bar none, the most accurate pistol I have ever owned including some 2K+ 1911's. Once the trigger smoothes out (it will trust me), the thing will scare you with it's accuracy. My friend said it shoots better than his buckmark .22lr.
It is absolutely a G17 killer. My only gripe is the small slide..kinda makes racking the slide a bit more difficult with a full hand. On the positive, it produces less muzzle flip.
fwiw, I have had issues with wwb 9mm in a variety of pistols..won't buy it anymore.

HGUNHNTR,

What holster are you using for your Phantom? I have a Blade Tech with Tec Lock for my JT Fat Zombie belt. It is for range use, and sticks out too far for daily carry. I've been using a Tagua pancake holster with thumb break for a Glock 21 as my daily holster on my JT Every Day Belt. The Phantom fits securely, but I don't like the holster very much. Been thinking about ordering a Blade Tech IWB, but would rather have something like the Raven Concealment. Unfortunately, they do not offer a holster for the Phantom. The lack of holsters is the only downside to owning this pistol. I no longer even carry my 1911 or Hi Power.

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii1_blackplague138_001_9.jpg

^Honestly I'm looking for one myself. I currently have an Armadillo nylon holster...sucks for carry for iwb and owb.

great review. how is polymer frame stack up against the steel frame SP-01 or the original 75B. I have been toying with the idea of getting another CZ, after my 75B, but don't know if i want to go to the polymer Phantom or Steel SP-01.

I have the Phantom and the equivalent gun in metal (SP01 Tactical). Both are awesome - I'm actually more accurate with the Phantom, even though it is consdierably lighter. Last night I shot 20 rounds (10 from each gun) at 25 feet, as shown:

CZ.jpg

One of my favorite CZ’s I own (I have most every CZ made). I love the weight and accuracy of this pistol. I am so glad CZ has re-released this pistol.

Back
Top Bottom