• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

"Custom"

This is absolutely correct and a bunch of them apparently work for Sig and Kimber going by my warranty experience with those two companies.
If you buy a kimber, you kinda ask for it. :behindsofa:

Some of the worst work I've ever seen on a very consistent basis comes out of two shops locally that constantly get recommended by other members here. Like, dude, do you even look at what you paid em to do?

If you buy a kimber, you kinda ask for it. :behindsofa:

Some of the worst work I've ever seen on a very consistent basis comes out of two shops locally that constantly get recommended by other members here. Like, dude, do you even look at what you paid em to do?
I've had the same gunsmith since I was old enough to buy a gun if you need a good one.

I wouldn't even touch a bolt gun built by anybody but a reputable custom gunsmith. I am not so shallow that a home build would deter me other than wear or price. I can always take it apart and make necessary changes. If price is right there should be no reason a competent man should start sweating over a AR-15 build. They either are generally afraid or just to stubborn to learn. The main reason why most people don't fix there own stuff anyway. It's no surprise. Most people hire a 100 dollar an hour man to unscrew a pipe and replace it under thier sink. In that case don't build one do all of us a favor and buy a shelf gun.

Also I have noticed that parts ( excluding barrels ) have dropped radically by gun manufacturers. For instance Wilson Combat. They are adjusting to the market place and offering deals to good to pass on. Receivers, handguards and so on. Also there rifles are selling at massive discount prices. What they MSRP a $2,000 rifle on their site are selling on sale for 1200 bucks. NOW! Have said that who is going to buy a rifle from bubba for 1000-1100 when you can buy a Wilson Combat Protector ( a model upgraded with free float handguard instead of two piece drop in standard job ) for 1,250 on line. On that premise alone " bubba " just can't figure out how to price his fruit salad gun. Again on that and that alone it doesn't pay to look at " bubbas " Aero Precision/ PSA / BCA barrel and BCG gun. That fact only it's not worth it for me. You can go to some place like Buds Gun Shop and piece together a complete upper and complete lower for less than you can buy any Aero rifle in our classifieds for. Now that's just a streak of ignorance a mile long. Everybody and the manufacturers are adjusting their price according to the market except for the people in our classifieds. They just can't get it through their heads that people are not paying massive prices for guns especially home builds. They simply are not going to get what they want for their gun, it's just not worth what they paid to build it for. I don't mean to offend anybody here I'm just making a point.

"Trained" - you're talking cream-of-the-crop, there.
The preferred method is OJT. On your gun.
You to have a reasonable amount of mechanical ability to be a good gunsmith. If switching carburators and valve covers on your old 350 bow tie engine is all the experience you have this industry is probably not meant for you. Now if you had extensive training in mechanics, machining, some God given talent and a lot of on the job experience then you can probably adapt to the change relatively quickly. But just getting into it because you have an infinity for guns is not a good idea. AT ALL! I think that's why there a lot of bad gunsmiths out there, guys getting into the business because they like firearms.

You to have a reasonable amount of mechanical ability to be a good gunsmith. If switching carburators and valve covers on your old 350 bow tie engine is all the experience you have this industry is probably not meant for you. Now if you had extensive training in mechanics, machining, some God given talent and a lot of on the job experience then you can probably adapt to the change relatively quickly. But just getting into it because you have an infinity for guns is not a good idea. AT ALL! I think that's why there a lot of bad gunsmiths out there, guys getting into the business because they like firearms.
BuT aLl I hAvE tO dO iS sWaP pArTs On A aR!
mIl SpEc Is MiL sPeC, rIgHt?
:pound:

Back
Top Bottom