• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crimson Trace Laser replacement for S&W Bodyguard .380

EVILWS6

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Just thought I'd put this out there for those that didn't know like me.
I have a Bodyguard and it was one of the models with the Insight Laser. It seemed like I had to change the batteries every 3-5 months. Well the last time I was changing the battery,one of the battery contacts broke. Flimsy metal tabs, the unit felt cheap and I was never really happy with it. Never seemed bright enough.
So as I was sitting there wishing they had the model without the laser when I got it, I said **** it and called S&W because I had to buy something to put back in there that worked(I know...OCD).
Well gave them a ring and started telling the guy about the issue,and he stops me asked if it was the Insight laser. I confirmed it was and he said just send it in to S&W ATTN: Roz and they would send me the Crimson Trace free of charge. Apparently they're upgrading anyone who has an issue with the Insight Laser.
After I got off the phone I went and did a little research and found out sometime last year they changed from Insight to Crimson Trace. And all the Bodyguards have the M&P logo now. I also read some people mailed it in and it took 6 weeks. Mine took about 11 days.
The Crimson Trace laser feel more solid and not so cheap. The adjustment screws for the laser also feel stiff,not loose like the Insight. It's a direct swap in. The only thing you have to change are the gray rubber Insight buttons(which I prefer),to red Crimson Trace flat plastic buttons. The laser is definitely brighter as well.
S&W customer service has been great,so I have 0 complaints.
20150406_200315.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I don't really use my laser though. Are the new buttons easier to turn on?

I prefer the gray rubber Insight buttons, but that's just a personal preference. I think they have more grip than the flat red plastic buttons that come with the Crimson Trace. I didn't try to see if the Insight buttons would work on the new Crimson Trace unit though.
All in all they're about the same turning off and on. It's worth upgrading IMO.

Last edited:
I've gotten a few PM's asking for the number I called and the address I shipped it to. All I did was google Smith & Wesson customer service and got the info. But I'll put it up here anyway.

The number I called - 1-800-331-0852

The address I mailed it to-

ATTN: ROZ
Smith & Wesson
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01104

Just thought I'd put this out there for those that didn't know like me.
I have a Bodyguard and it was one of the models with the Insight Laser. It seemed like I had to change the batteries every 3-5 months. Well the last time I was changing the battery,one of the battery contacts broke. Flimsy metal tabs, the unit felt cheap and I was never really happy with it. Never seemed bright enough.
So as I was sitting there wishing they had the model without the laser when I got it, I said **** it and called S&W because I had to buy something to put back in there that worked(I know...OCD).
Well gave them a ring and started telling the guy about the issue,and he stops me asked if it was the Insight laser. I confirmed it was and he said just send it in to S&W ATTN: Roz and they would send me the Crimson Trace free of charge. Apparently they're upgrading anyone who has an issue with the Insight Laser.
After I got off the phone I went and did a little research and found out sometime last year they changed from Insight to Crimson Trace. And all the Bodyguards have the M&P logo now. I also read some people mailed it in and it took 6 weeks. Mine took about 11 days.
The Crimson Trace laser feel more solid and not so cheap. The adjustment screws for the laser also feel stiff,not loose like the Insight. It's a direct swap in. The only thing you have to change are the gray rubber Insight buttons(which I prefer),to red Crimson Trace flat plastic buttons. The laser is definitely brighter as well.
S&W customer service has been great,so I have 0 complaints.View attachment 409072I know its 5 years late but, will they still honor that? I have had my Bodyguard for about 3 years and should have been looked into replacing my insight laser. If Smith & wesson still does switch them out. What information do I need to send with the laser? What's the process?

Back
Top Bottom