Coyote encounter

We just had one about a month ago attack a neighbors dog. Sheriff showed up while it was still there and it attacked him and he shot it. Dog survived and they tested the yote and it was not rabid. They are predators doin predators stuff. We always stay armed

I've seen plenty of coyotes in daylight, so that is not uncommon. Running towards you? Either rabid or very confused as to what you were. Honestly, without being there and you saying it was running full speed, I would say it was confused. Just like rattlesnakes will stay close to corn piles to hunt small game, so will coyotes, sometimes. Hard to be certain, though.

My wife's uncle said he was cutting a deer in the dark one time. Heard something behind him. Turned around to see a coyote about ten feet behind him. He said his fight or flight took over and he started yelling and chased it off with the only thing he had. His knife.

I live in a subdivision that's been seeing a couple of coyotes hanging around.
I saw a couple of them in my neighbors yard sometime like midnight when I was taking the dog out for a leak. They didn't mess with me and took off running when they saw us. The dog wouldn't have stood a chance with them.
The HOA and many of the residents frown on gun fire.
If I had a blank pistol, would that be enough to scare the coyotes? Assuming they aren't rabid.

Well, it could have been a flaming wolf but that almost never happens ;)

Hey, at least you were prepared!!! It could have been a 'threat to food source' that triggered it. Hard to say.

Maybe it just wanted you to pet it?

Seriously though, I grew up in GA in the 60s and 70s and spent most of my youth outside and never even heard a coyote back then. Bobcat occasionally and stray dogs often but no yotes.
I'm not sure when their numbers started increasing, must have been when I was in the military.
I used to drive through Ohio to Indianapolis and just west of Cincinnati where Interstate 74 and 275 come together I'd always hear a coyote barking at night. Evidently there was a den there and they somehow managed to survive moving through traffic to the river and the nearby farms.

We see and kill more Coyotes during deer season, likely more time in the stand with 3-4 guys in the woods almost every weekend. On my property no less rhan 8 killed during deer season broad daylight. 12-15 killed using predator calls since 2005.. That hasn’t made a dent in the game cam pics and what we hear howling and running deer at night when we are there...

They have gotten more bold with the rise of their numbers...

Back
Top Bottom