Court Decision that will affect this forum...

I didn't see where he done anything illegal. He went to his uncle's home state and paid for a ffl transfer....am I missing something. If this goes through then all dealers that buy guns with the intent on resell is guilty. If I go ask my dealer to find me a certain gun and he buys it from an ind. then turns it to me he would be guilty...? Idk...I think this is just the BATFE wanting headlines ...

The letter of the law was followed way too closely in this case. Technically it was a straw purchase though some discretion should have been shown. Why he did not "gift" it and be done with it, idk?

I've never bought a gun to sell it to someone else but I have gifted them before. I've had guns gifted to me as well. There is no way this can really go through because, as it's been questioned in this thread already, how can you prove "intent to resell"?
That would put every ad on this site in question essentially. Not to fear monger, but one thing I speculate may be coming from this however, is a new taxation just like there is with homes. You must have a home in your name for 2 years before reselling it or else you'll be forced to pay a tax. They may try & do the same thing with guns. Making private sales illegal & forcing people to have the sale overseen by a govt official & then taxing the parties on what they sell/purchase based on how long the original owner has had the gun & also how much the buyer spent on the gun..

I don't care what they decide on this one- I've never bought a firearm with the intent to resell it. I've learned to stop buying them based on what looks cool now... it's got to shoot well too.

^ This ^

Proving what your "intentions" are is a very grey area and very difficult. I don't believe SCOTUS would uphold this ruling. Besides, I thought a "straw purchase" is only applicable if someone purchased it for someone who could not legally purchase or possess a firearm. Am I incorrect?

Back
Top Bottom