• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cost Factor??

GunTech

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
Just throwing some questions out there to gain some different perspectives. In the past, before this ammo and supplies sky rocketed, re-loaders would tell me it was cheaper to reload than buy manufactured ammo. I think in many instances that was a true statement depending on your shooting regime.
Question is...in this current time of high prices...is reloading still cheaper than manufactured ammo? Is it something that should be invested in?

Short answer is NO, not cheaper. All equipment and component costs has also gone up greatly, if you can find them. Even before the current market I looked into shotshells and unless I was reloading for 4 to 5 of my shooting buddies and sharing cost it was cheaper to buy a case from Academy or Bass Pro for sport shooting. There are some reloading calculators online to use if you know component cost that will give you a cost per round. I know some will disagree but I always say to add in your time at a good rate if planning to reload because to me time is the most valuable component you use that you control fully.

I had considered getting into reloading maybe 2 years ago when i was shooting a lot of pistol (9mm & 45) to me the initial cost was significant enough that i was not interested (also bear in mind you need a way to safely store powder and a room designated for reloading) , but even ignoring that the components cost almost as much if not the same as manufactured bullets now I have heard from some 1911 shooters that it is cheaper to shoot 45 reloads using solid lead projectiles. if your not shooting long distance/accuracy or black powder cartridges (for something like a sharps)I don't think its worth getting into especially at this time.

I had considered getting into reloading maybe 2 years ago when i was shooting a lot of pistol (9mm & 45) to me the initial cost was significant enough that i was not interested (also bear in mind you need a way to safely store powder and a room designated for reloading) , but even ignoring that the components cost almost as much if not the same as manufactured bullets now I have heard from some 1911 shooters that it is cheaper to shoot 45 reloads using solid lead projectiles. if your not shooting long distance/accuracy or black powder cartridges (for something like a sharps)I don't think its worth getting into especially at this time.
Yeah - pretty damn difficult to source components at any price ATM. The Italian primer plants shutting down and coupled with the rona and political stuff is driving everything through the roof.

Luckily, I have plenty to burn a couple rifle barrels. Still want more though

You guys kill me. I have been reloading for 40 years. I started out with a single stage press and reloading rounds for my 30 06.
Was it cheaper per round then? The answer is YES!!
I could also customize me loads and improve accuracy. Custom loads back then were $1.50 per round.
I still have a lot of the same equipment today and it still works like it did on day one.
Reloading is an enjoyable past time. Can't put a cost on it.
Today in have 4 Dillion presses, 1 650 and 3 1050s. All were paid for in the savings of my reloading hobby.
I guess it really isn't worth reloading if you think the crap that is going on today will never happen again.

Just throwing some questions out there to gain some different perspectives. In the past, before this ammo and supplies sky rocketed, re-loaders would tell me it was cheaper to reload than buy manufactured ammo. I think in many instances that was a true statement depending on your shooting regime.
Question is...in this current time of high prices...is reloading still cheaper than manufactured ammo? Is it something that should be invested in?

I’m reloading so that I HAVE ammo and not worried about the shortage. I just bought a 25lb bag of lead shot yesterday for much more than I used to. But I have it added to the pile and will be used to keep my kids shooting through this ridiculous ammoageden we are in currently. Cost be damned these days. It’s about having it vs not.

*edit - I do have a MEC 9000 set up for 12 ga I’m going to be listing soon if anyone wants first crack at it. :thumb: Have some AA hulls to go with it if needed.

You guys kill me. I have been reloading for 40 years. I started out with a single stage press and reloading rounds for my 30 06.
Was it cheaper per round then? The answer is YES!!
I could also customize me loads and improve accuracy. Custom loads back then were $1.50 per round.
I still have a lot of the same equipment today and it still works like it did on day one.
Reloading is an enjoyable past time. Can't put a cost on it.
Today in have 4 Dillion presses, 1 650 and 3 1050s. All were paid for in the savings of my reloading hobby.
I guess it really isn't worth reloading if you think the crap that is going on today will never happen again.
That's why I asked the qualifiers.

Back
Top Bottom