• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cost Benefit of Reloading Pistol Rounds

There's some good information in this thread. Dirty J says it's possible to save 40+% (which I know will lead to more shooting). But Dieseltech adds, "Right now it will cost you more to reload then it will to buy ammo with the current market prices, availability, and back orders." I think it would be fun, but maybe I'll just watch the prices for a few weeks before jumping into it. Thanks, everyone.
Dirty J is correct it is possible to save 40% or more. I am currently still loading 9mm for about 12 Cpr. But that is with supplies purchased when times were good, not now. Currently it’s hard to find primers alone for less then 15 cents a piece. If you enjoy shooting you will enjoy reloading. But if you are strictly trying to save money, especially upfront with machine investments you will be disappointed. Again only if you are looking at it as means to save money.

You won't save money, get that out of your head.

You CAN custom load, however. Things like sub sonic 30-30 and sub sonic .308, cast 45, 38, 32, 9mm, etc. My favorite, Mexican Match! And non anemic rounds for older calibers in modern guns, etc.

If you shoot thousands of rounds a month and IF you can source components, your cost per round will drop, but it isn't considered "saving money", in the end, it will cost you more as you are shooting more.

I have been lucky in finding quite a few Lee Loaders for very reasonable prices at yard and estate sales. I also got primers and lead and cases for several different calibers just by asking and on the very cheap side. Not much luck on powder but have picked up a few pounds here and there.

You’ll still save money now. Factory 9mm ammo is 70-80¢ per round right now. That’s part of what’s driving the component cost.

Even with today’s flipper pricing... you’ll still save money.

20¢ primer. 5¢ one fired brass. 3¢ for powder charge. 12¢ for a FMJ projectile (7-8¢ for coated lead).

Even with inflated pricing that you can find here every day... that’s still roughly 40¢ per round for a loaded 9mm cartridge.

Approximately half the going rate.

I stopped loading my own when 1k cases of brass 9mm hit $169. I was in the 14 cpr range rolling my own. Still had a few k of SP primers laying around same for projos and tons of once used brass.

Along comes Covid, and primers disappeared. Made those rounds and am now just waiting it out.

Bad time to get into reloading.

You’ll still save money now. Factory 9mm ammo is 70-80¢ per round right now. That’s part of what’s driving the component cost.

Even with today’s flipper pricing... you’ll still save money.

20¢ primer. 5¢ one fired brass. 3¢ for powder charge. 12¢ for a FMJ projectile (7-8¢ for coated lead).

Even with inflated pricing that you can find here every day... that’s still roughly 40¢ per round for a loaded 9mm cartridge.

Approximately half the going rate.

You getting the equipment for free?

Of course not. You’ll still have to recoup the cost... but that’s going to happen even faster than in good times.

In today’s market you’ll easily save 30-35¢ per round for 9mm.

When components and ammo are cheap, you’ll save at best 10¢ per.

There's some good information in this thread. Dirty J says it's possible to save 40+% (which I know will lead to more shooting). But Dieseltech adds, "Right now it will cost you more to reload then it will to buy ammo with the current market prices, availability, and back orders." I think it would be fun, but maybe I'll just watch the prices for a few weeks before jumping into it. Thanks, everyone.

I think it's going to be more than a few weeks... hit snooze for 2022.

Of course not. You’ll still have to recoup the cost... but that’s going to happen even faster than in good times.

In today’s market you’ll easily save 30-35¢ per round for 9mm.

When components and ammo are cheap, you’ll save at best 10¢ per.

Some folks do get the equipment for free. If you have to buy it in today's market (new and used equipment is up), it will be a long time before you break even.

There is a good used market for quality reloading equipment. Buy quality at a good price and when you no longer reload you can sell for about what you paid or more. I don't add the cost of the equipment into my figures.

Back
Top Bottom