• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coosa River 6-14-14 -> 29 lb. Blue Cat

CardsFan

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
0   0
Reaction score
Julie and I got a late start on the Coosa but had a good day for size. Thanks to a tip from an old friend we saw at the ramp we had about 115 shad in about 45 minutes in Brushy Branch. I was very happy about that.

We headed up the Coosa, anchored at our favorite spot, and caught a few little flatheads and blues with the occasional 3 lb. Striper. After a 20 to 30 minute lull (as we were about to move to another spot) we both got hit by drag screamers and had another fire drill trying to keep lines from getting tangled. That big one pretty much did what ever he wanted to for a few minutes - I was lucky he didn't wrap around a blowdown. After a tug of war we finally played out both fish and got them in the boat. Julie's was 16 pounds and mine was 29 pounds, both Blue Cats. That double accounted for about half the total weight for the day :)

We had several blue and flatheads from 4-9 pounds and a 9 pound drum. Even though each species fight differently, they all pull hard on the Coosa.

We also tried up a feeder creek but only managed a 3 pound Channel cat. We chummed several dozen live shad in that little creek and enjoyed the show as small bass around our anchor point marauded the shad. We figured we boated about 90 pounds total for the day. Not a bad way to spend a gorgeous day on the river.

Water temp was about 74 on the Coosa several miles above Brushy. All fish were released, so it's your turn to catch 'em.

CPY_0001.jpgCPY_0002.jpgCPY_0003.jpgCPY_0004.jpg

You got me wanting to buy a boat..where do you put in on the river..ramp location?

We put in at the park commonly called Brushy Branch, but I think it's official name is Montgomery Landing. It's off Blacks Bluff road west of Rome, not far from the GA-AL state line.

The water is up right now in the Brushy Branch arm (off the main Coosa river) so there's not much navigational concern for anyone. If your running an outboard, stay within the channel markers to be safe. As the summer progresses and the water level drops, staying in the channel will be an extremely wise idea for an outboard powered boat. Once you get to the main Coosa river you are good, just watch for logs floating down river.

Backwoods, they did fight good. The big cat was the boss for the first few minutes. I couldn't stop him at first, then he turned and came right at us and I had to reel like fire to take up the slack. The way he was fighting was more characteristic of a big flathead, and I was wondering it it might also be a teenage Striper until it got under the boat. But that's part of the fun of river fishing - you never really know what you're fighting until you see that sinker, and then the first glimpse of the fish. I can't put my finger on why that's so exiting, I just know it is. :D

Back
Top Bottom