• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coon hunting with a dog

Hounds are pack hunters and learn from each other. I wouldn’t even bother with trying to train one without a good pup trainer(older dog that knows the ropes who isn’t tree possessive), and I’ve had many hounds and coon hunted for years.
That makes sense.

I would suggest getting a John boat, the best waders you can afford, and lighting gear. You need to go to NiteLite get a tracking system with tracking collars(with shocker) and Garmin GPS tracking units. You need about 15 leads. Keep one everywhere. A truckload of dog food. Learn to be your own vet. Be prepared to be wet, lost, and broke. Be prepared to lose anything you take with you getting to the tree. You need a quality dog box and a fast truck. Try to hunt on Flat Ground.
You will be surprised how much ground a hound can cover in a short time. Get in shape. Have a great time. I really miss hunting with dogs.

I would suggest getting a John boat, the best waders you can afford, and lighting gear. You need to go to NiteLite get a tracking system with tracking collars(with shocker) and Garmin GPS tracking units. You need about 15 leads. Keep one everywhere. A truckload of dog food. Learn to be your own vet. Be prepared to be wet, lost, and broke. Be prepared to lose anything you take with you getting to the tree. You need a quality dog box and a fast truck. Try to hunt on Flat Ground.
You will be surprised how much ground a hound can cover in a short time. Get in shape. Have a great time. I really miss hunting with dogs.
That’s some great advice! Thanks buddy

It’s been many years we use to trap a coon in a live trap.then let the dog try to get it thru trap barking,smelling digging at trap,then we would go to a open place turn out the coon close enough to a tree and let the dog sight race it to the tree and usually they will tree him and just gradually go up from there.eventually you will be able to let coon out without dog seeing it where he will have to use his nose to find it.its gonna take a lot of work from you.there is a retired state trooper in Barnesville ga that trains them I will try to find out his name.

Where you live? I may can hook you up with some folks to go with. I’ve been to the truck hunts 4-5 times top 100 in the world hunt. Top 16 in the nation multiple years . I know a few folks.

Back
Top Bottom