Cooks help me out!

crbrumbelow

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
4   0
Reaction score
I have my great grandmothers cast iron cook ware. Its over 100 years old and the frying pan I use the most is showing signs of crusting up. I want to clean it down and re-season it. Am I correct in that I can build a fire and get it hot enough to burn the junk off and clean it up with a wire brush and then re-season with lard. What temp should the oven be to reseason. Thanks.

I have my great grandmothers cast iron cook ware. Its over 100 years old and the frying pan I use the most is showing signs of crusting up. I want to clean it down and re-season it. Am I correct in that I can build a fire and get it hot enough to burn the junk off and clean it up with a wire brush and then re-season with lard. What temp should the oven be to reseason. Thanks.

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/Seasoning-Cast-Iron_b_33.html

Why re-season it? Clean it with coarse salt and water and use it! Your G-ma did all the delicious seasoning over the last 100 years! Dont get rid of the flavor!

Well its pretty bad crusty on inside around the edge and if you cook in it, stuff sticks pretty bad. Sooo I really need to do something with it.

Well its pretty bad crusty on inside around the edge and if you cook in it, stuff sticks pretty bad. Sooo I really need to do something with it.

The coarse salt and water wll clean it. Put a lil muscle into it and rinse it off. Use a washcloth to rub the salt in. The crust will come off and you wont lose the flavoring of the pan. Trust me.

Back
Top Bottom