• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Confused on using Powder disc on Lee Classic turret?

Beerman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I am loading 9mm and .223, and I am confused on what powder disc to use to dispense my powder. HELP..

What's your load data say? Each hole is labeled...and there is a chart that tells you which size hole gives you how much of each different powder.

Which bullet weight? Yes, according to the chart 34 would be for 3.7 grains. Be sure to weigh a couple to make sure. Most powders I've used come in a few tenths light of the chart specs.

Let's be clear. The discs are in .cc and your powder measurements are in grains. There is no direct conversion. Each powder has a different weight per cc. You need to find a reference that gives you a place to start (the lee reloading book is good for this.) and then try out a disk. Run a few charges through it and see what they weight. You may want to try a size up or down from that depending on how your powder measures out. I always assume the charge is slightly above the maximum I see in my test throws. Also note that with some flaky powders the charges may actualy creep up as the powder in the hopper gets compressed.

The chart that comes with the Lee Auto-Disk measure is really quite clear and
weighing the charges should verify that. However, not all powders are on the
chart ... So, use Google to tell you what it is : "What's the VMD of Johnson's Baby Powder"
I believe that's the correct term (VMD) that Lee uses ... but I'm not at my desk right now to
verify it.

Back
Top Bottom