• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Combat Carbine Teamwork, May 21, Jefferson GA

Always good to have folks in carbine classes running something other than an AR-variant.......gets boring.

Almost 1/3 of the students ran an AK-variant in 7.62x39mm. We even had a student that ran an M4-type chambered in 7.62x39mm that took the Colt-style mags. Haven't had one of those in the class in a long time.

Had a fair amount of students that intentionally ran iron-sights.......plus one that didn't intend on running irons.

100% of the Eotechs that showed up failed very early in the day. Okay......there was only 1 Eotech, but it failed. It wouldn't turn on. Student put a new battery in it, still wouldn't turn on. Iron-sights the rest of the day, which he did very well with.

No issues with any of the other optics.

The most common optic in the class was the Aimpoint Micro series. Had a couple of traditional Trijicons with fixed magnification, and a smattering of others.

Most students ran 5.56x45mm, several used 7.62x39mm, and 2 had 9x19mm's. One had an SBR with a fun switch in 5.56x45mm.

Loved every minute man! You know to follow up I was dicking with those AK mags and all my eastern blocks dont want to feed the first round by manually charging the gun, but once one is chambered and I shoot its fine, and they all follow as expected. I retested all my pmags and bakelite mags and none of them have any problems. Im considering buying new followers and springs for the eastern block steel mags though once I do a little more research.

Either way my partner and I had a blast and plan on taking another!

Loved every minute man! You know to follow up I was dicking with those AK mags and all my eastern blocks dont want to feed the first round by manually charging the gun, but once one is chambered and I shoot its fine, and they all follow as expected. I retested all my pmags and bakelite mags and none of them have any problems. Im considering buying new followers and springs for the eastern block steel mags though once I do a little more research.

Either way my partner and I had a blast and plan on taking another!

Interesting.......let me know if that fixes the issues. I had several Eastern bloc mags in the truck, I shoulda seen if they worked in your gun.

Always good to have folks in carbine classes running something other than an AR-variant.......gets boring.

Almost 1/3 of the students ran an AK-variant in 7.62x39mm. We even had a student that ran an M4-type chambered in 7.62x39mm that took the Colt-style mags. Haven't had one of those in the class in a long time.

Had a fair amount of students that intentionally ran iron-sights.......plus one that didn't intend on running irons.

100% of the Eotechs that showed up failed very early in the day. Okay......there was only 1 Eotech, but it failed. It wouldn't turn on. Student put a new battery in it, still wouldn't turn on. Iron-sights the rest of the day, which he did very well with.

No issues with any of the other optics.

The most common optic in the class was the Aimpoint Micro series. Had a couple of traditional Trijicons with fixed magnification, and a smattering of others.

Most students ran 5.56x45mm, several used 7.62x39mm, and 2 had 9x19mm's. One had an SBR with a fun switch in 5.56x45mm.

I definitely enjoyed the class and learned quite a bit.

And speaking of optics, the only downside to the entire class was on the last drill, when I thought the battery had died on my T1 after at least 4 years.

But the battery hadn't died. Shep had just turned it off. :D And in the heat of the moment, I completely forgot I had a lower 1/3 co-witness and proceeded to turn my dot back on - a valuable teaching moment. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom