• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Combat Carbine, Saturday October 24, Carrollton GA

I had no idea there were other ODT'ers there, and like a forgetful nincompoop I forgot to ask.

Today was a fun one. Thanks again to Shep and Jeff. Very professional and a ton of good drills and information. I will probably write more later tonight but won't promise anything. I am beat!

Awesome class today. Shep and Jeff are great guys, and they covered so many fun and informative topics. The drills were fun and allowed many variations for the shooter to utilize manipulation techniques. All in all it was a great day, and I will be doing more classes with Precision Applications.

Yes! I was the one guy with ar mags in the back pocket because I didn't have a tac belt but it didn't seem to slow me down.

Rob and Jeff... Great job, you guys are a class act. Knowledgeable and patient.

It was probably the MOST expensive training class I have been to. (and the only one) Not the cost of the class, but now I want a suppressor, sbr, and Aimpoint. This class will end up costing me at least $2k.

Seriously though, it was very cool being around a bunch of gun guys and talking gear. There were some nice guns there and smart dudes. Highly recommend any of Rob's classes.

-Bob

Last edited:
Expensive? Not for me. I'll be glad to show up in blue jeans, t shirt, and shoot my AK with iron sights. An optic maybe, but I don't need all that other crap. Less is more for this honky.

The 3 of us had by far and away the most meager set ups there. But other than having malfunctions that were our own fault, or the FU sticks fault I didn't see anything going on with our gear.
The 2 DD mk18s that were running suppressed had issues from the very first drill.
It was nice to see "lesser" gear run with much more expensive and boutique gear. I"ll keep my little beater rifle for training, and get experiment with gear on it before buying more expensive doodads that aren't practical for my uses.

Speak for yourself about the malfunctions. My AK had zero malfunctions (as usual) and seriously injured Shep's FU stick. I can't make that rifle malfunction. That's one of the main reasons I run an AK.

It's not the cost of the weapon it's the individual behind it.

My only non stick induced malfunction was not fully seating a mag on one drill, so I just transitioned to my pistol.
Though I did have to motar my rifle during the clearance drill using the magpul dummy rounds.

Good on you all for "taking the next step".

After I figured out decades ago how little I knew of how to operate any defensive firearm & began my training it amazed me how many people buy a gun for defensive use.... but never seek out training in how to be proficient in the use of it or even learn the "basics" on using it safely & correctly.

They spend all this money adding "bells & whistles" to their guns w/o having any context to determine what is really needed.

As you seem to have found out it is very empowering (& just flat out fun) to get some professional training from a qualified Instructor.

In addition to making you much more "confident & competent" it makes you look at your guns in a whole new way.
Plus, as noted, what an enjoyable way to (safely) spend time with other like minded individuals.

Thanks y'all!

The weather was perfect and it was a great class.

The majority of the students ran some sort of M4-variant in 5.56, although one was chambered in 5.45 and another in .300Blk. 2 students ran AK's and a lone Steyr AUG rounded out the day.

There were numerous issues with a couple of students running variations of SBR's and suppressors. One student went through 2-3 different suppressed SBR's, finally switched to his "beater" RRA and that worked. One of his issues was that the weaker PMC issue wasn't cycling his weapons. I loaned him a mag of M193 and it shot just fine.

Several folks got outside their comfort zone and when the FU Stick came out in the afternoon, there was quite a bit of cursing going on. I was finally able to malfunction an AK with the FU Stick (by putting it against the back of the charging handle and slowing down the bolt, causing it to short stroke), but as stoppages go it was a very minor one; TAP-RACK and MRH was right back in business. Like it said, the charging handle crushed a gouge in the end of my stick doing it!

The stoppages and malfunctions that the FU Stick causes on the M4 are quite a bit more.........spectacular.

Semper Fi!

Back
Top Bottom