• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Combat Carbine, Saturday October 24, Carrollton GA

I personally loved the drill, and would have ran it with barriers or the way that you had us run it. I didn't think any less of the others that chose not to do so, and can absolutely understand the hesitation. I thought it was utilized to great effect for those of us that had never been placed in such a situation. It is a stand out moment for me personally from the class, and an experience I will not soon forget. I, speaking only for myself, appreciate that you had faith that we could perform it safely.

I personally loved the drill, and would have ran it with barriers or the way that you had us run it. I didn't think any less of the others that chose not to do so, and can absolutely understand the hesitation. I thought it was utilized to great effect for those of us that had never been placed in such a situation. It is a stand out moment for me personally from the class, and an experience I will not soon forget. I, speaking only for myself, appreciate that you had faith that we could perform it safely.

Much more articulate.. Bravo sir... I completely understand why you would find that exhilarating. Your thought about running 2 relays, one with barrels and one without is also a winning idea that maybe Shep should consider in the future. I think he was caught off guard a bit by how many people came over to the opt out side? Maybe he can chime in. Yes it's true he didn't invent that drill and others run it, and it's a very legitimate drill but it's been my experience that they are run after mutli day carbine courses and practicing the drill dry or with wooden dowels / lasers on the barrels first. If you continue on with your training I believe you will come to realize that the prevailing brain trust in today's shooting world would say no one there had enough time with anyone to establish that kind of faith. (now I'm not passing judgement, just stating) ... Just to make sure things haven't changed, since the class I've spoken to several highly experienced shooters a US Amry Ranger Colonel Ret., former DELTA weapons craft instructor at JFK Special Warfare Center at Bragg being the two most notable, and would have called Ken Hackathorn but have been busy. I'm always open to the idea that I may not know what I'm talking about. But anyway my debate wasn't about Shep or the drill, but how I interpreted your last post about it. With that said I've asked Shep for the tests to finish the class and will be running them here in Ellijay. I would invite anyone from the class to come up, we can do a refresher and shoot the quals..... Now that sounds challenging. I appreciate clarifying your position.

Last edited:
I would enjoy shooting the quals, and have no doubt in my mind I would fail them miserably without great care and much practice. Which no matter the circumstance, I will always think I need more of both.
I felt that I should express the intent further, as my response post was in less than perfect taste or tact.

Ken Hackathorn runs that as a first day drill in both pistol and carbine. I remember that because, out of the training venues I mentioned, his was the most recent that I attended.

I run it as a late-in-the-day drill so that I have already observed the students put over 300rds down range and have a feel for their general abilities. In order to run the drill, both Instructors have to agree to it as well.

Anyone that has attended my training, or is signed up for a future class, hit me up and I'll send the shooting tests to you.

Semper Fi!

Back
Top Bottom