• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMP M1 Garand

joshua.neal2012

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
27   0
Reaction score
Alrighty folks,

So I am really looking hard at the CMP M1 Garands - and I need a little bit of anecdotal advice on what to look for/what to buy.

-I am looking for a shooter not a wall-hanger - the sentiment of a WW2 rifle would be great, but I am not going to get hung up on the details that make them expensive. I am going for (relatively) inexpensive here.

I am looking at the $650 Field Grade rifles, and the $750 Service grade rifles. I am planning on heading to the Anniston store to pick it out (definitely for Field grade - maybe not for service grade) - but I could use a little extra info in making some informed decisions.

Is the Service Grade rifle worth the upcharge?

What are ODTs thoughts?

Alrighty folks,

So I am really looking hard at the CMP M1 Garands - and I need a little bit of anecdotal advice on what to look for/what to buy.

-I am looking for a shooter not a wall-hanger - the sentiment of a WW2 rifle would be great, but I am not going to get hung up on the details that make them expensive. I am going for (relatively) inexpensive here.

I am looking at the $650 Field Grade rifles, and the $750 Service grade rifles. I am planning on heading to the Anniston store to pick it out (definitely for Field grade - maybe not for service grade) - but I could use a little extra info in making some informed decisions.

Is the Service Grade rifle worth the upcharge?

What are ODTs thoughts?

I'm eyeballing one of the Specials in .308. Easier ammo wise for me. (and purty)

upload_2018-8-20_16-10-2.png

I'd look for the best Field Grade with lowest wear numbers.

They charge 10% tax on in store sales vs mail order, but at least you can pick a nice low wear barrel.

The guys at CMP Anniston are great! Very helpful and can suggest things/answer your questions and generally guide you down the path of righteousness. Just remember if you buy at the store you have to pay the 10% sales tax - ouch. Online orders, no tax...but no look-see, either.

Haven't heard what the selection is like these days. Be sure to take all of your documentation and join the Garand Collectors Society.

Personally I would spend a little more and go with Service Grade. And try to find the lowest Muzzle Erosion (ME) and Throat Erosion (TE) numbers available.

Oh, and you HAVE TO swing by the Yamaha Powersports dealer and tell Brie that ODT says hello...:cool:

You can check rent store reports at the CMP Forum:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=232770

Store is open Thur, Fri and Sat opens 8am CENTRAL time.

Last Saturday report:

There were 10 customers at opening and the racks were full, others showed up shortly after opening. There were 17 rifles sold at opening, my numbers are after opening rush. There were a few USGI stock, 10ish, no cartouches.

SA FG, 3. There were ten at opening. There were two gems to me, #269xxx 6/41, all SA parts, beautiful USGI stock no cartouche, with replacement barrel, second #272xxxx 3/44 with original barrel, all SA parts, with a beautiful USGI stock... Didn’t see other SA’s they flew off the racks.

IHC SG 4, FG 30

WRA SG 1, sold

HRA zero

SA 6 million, 1.

Other rifles remain about the same.

1/2 box cotton slings.

Few en blocs.

Good luck on your searches.

All great advice above. Only thing I have to add is, the 308 specials have brand new barrels. So it might be worth the extra $100 if you are looking for a shooter and don't care about having a WWII barrel.

Back
Top Bottom