• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cleaning very weathered brass

buckdog1

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
20   0
Reaction score
Guy's i recently got some brass from a friend and its very weathered. I tumbled it, that didnt work, i cleaned it with brass cleaner, then tumbled it but that still didnt get it as clean as i wanted. Anything you can suggest? I hate to just toss it, if there's anything i can do.
Thanks

If you mean it's stained and won't shine like gold, blah! I shoot it anyways. As long as the dirt and debris is off the case and it's clean then it should be fine to shoot but it won't win any beauty pageant.

I have some .45 ACP that is brown patina and it just keeps going like the energizer bunny.

Edit:

I somehow didn't see you used "brass cleaner". Chuckdog is on point, best to follow his recommendation.

Last edited:
As long as you haven't exposed it to brasso or some other cleaner containing ammonia, just load it and shoot. If you've used an ammonia based cleaner, take it in for recycling.

Citric acid will clean it right up without hurting or weakening your brass. If you can't find it in the canning section of Walmart or your local grocery, you can use a dishwashing product called Lemi-shine (sp?), also found at Walmart. If you need the recipe, I can look it up & post it here.

Last edited:
As long as you haven't exposed it to brasso or some other cleaner containing ammonia, just load it and shoot. If you've used an ammonia based cleaner, take it in for recycling.

Ooops! I missed the part about him using brass cleaner on it. If Brasso or similar was used, take Chuckdog's recommendation & recycle it....

I haven't run in to any brass that a wet/stainless rotary tumbler can't make look new.

Regarding the Brasso, I made that mistake with some .45acp cases when I was a new reloading. Added a big squirt into my vibratory tumbler, and ran it for way longer than necessary (6+ hours if I remember correctly). I've now reloaded that brass at least a couple of times without failure. Common knowledge is that ammonia-based cleaners are a no-no. I agree, but just wanted to pass along my actual experience.

if it so happens to be 9mm, .45 or 308 brass... it is completely useless. Dump it in a flat rate box to me. I will pm you my address and mail you a check to cover shipping :rolleyes:

I haven't run in to any brass that a wet/stainless rotary tumbler can't make look new.

Regarding the Brasso, I made that mistake with some .45acp cases when I was a new reloading. Added a big squirt into my vibratory tumbler, and ran it for way longer than necessary (6+ hours if I remember correctly). I've now reloaded that brass at least a couple of times without failure. Common knowledge is that ammonia-based cleaners are a no-no. I agree, but just wanted to pass along my actual experience.

This is the correct answer

Back
Top Bottom