• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Chronographs!!!

I really need something that can handle a .50BMG. I figured the LabRadar design would be a great candidate.

I think if you throw any chrono, it will break. I’ve been using the labradar with an inertia trigger instead of the microphone and it’s awesome!!!! Indoor and outdoor use with the inertia trigger, velocities at any distance I choose, easy to use and down load data. It’s tits!!!!!

Inertia trigger? Still uses doppler technology?

I think if you throw any chrono, it will break. I’ve been using the labradar with an inertia trigger instead of the microphone and it’s awesome!!!! Indoor and outdoor use with the inertia trigger, velocities at any distance I choose, easy to use and down load data. It’s tits!!!!!

Inertia trigger? Still uses doppler technology?
So the way it comes, you position your muzzle 12-18” away from the labradar, the built in microphone triggers the radar to start recording. Fellow shooters at an indoor range can cause vibrations from their shots that may cause false triggers. The inertia trigger is just wrapped around your gun anywhere ( I drape it over the scope) and no false triggers or worrying about the muzzle being next to the machine.

Got it.

So the way it comes, you position your muzzle 12-18” away from the labradar, the built in microphone triggers the radar to start recording. Fellow shooters at an indoor range can cause vibrations from their shots that may cause false triggers. The inertia trigger is just wrapped around your gun anywhere ( I drape it over the scope) and no false triggers or worrying about the muzzle being next to the machine.

Magnetospeed doesn't work with a lot of firearms, which may or may not matter to you. Plus it affects barrel harmonics enough that you can't shoot for accuracy and chrono at the same time.

The optical ones are fine, but only if the lighting is right. Otherwise, they can be way off-- and consistently off enough for you to think you're running a few hundred fps low, when you aren't. Move things around, and bam, all is right again.

I eventually bought the Labradar, and it is not perfect. You will need one of the accelerometer triggers for it. And, probably a tripod. It's best to put it close and UNDER your benched rifle if possible. You can use the phone app to drive it and see the results. This keeps the muzzle brake blast to a minimum. Once you get the hang of it, this is a real instrument. It is the way to go, though I wish they'd come out with V2.0 and address some of the well-known problems. Poor battery life (you'll need a cheap external power pack), crappy user interface, sensitivity to muzzle blast preventing it from getting readings, difficulty getting good readings on low-velocity rifles, and so on. These things are all fixable, but they keep selling the same design. I waited years for a V2, and finally gave in and bought one anyway. It works. It's also easier to set up than an optical one, especially at a public range. I assume that since I now parted with the dough, and have figured out how to deal with its many shortcomings, V2 is probably right around the corner.

I still have a $60 "shootin' chrony" for a backup. My first one lasted 18 years, until... well, you know.

I gave up trying to use mine at indoor rifle ranges. The concussion off the stall walls shook it so badly that it rarely got readings.

Back
Top Bottom