• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Choosing hunting pup, suggestions please...

borvix

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
117   0
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm pretty much set on getting GSP as my new hunting, companion dog. I have plenty of experience with working dogs training and aspects, but when it comes to hunting pups, are there any suggestions how to chose the more hunting talented pup from the litter?

Regards

Be sure that you match well with the selected breed and it serves the purposes you want. GSP's are great dogs and beautiful, I thought I wanted one at one point as well. They didn't really match up with my hunting and lifestyle so I went another direction. They are HIGH energy, like 3-4 hours a day exercise. You seem like your mind is set and you've done your research so I'll say no more in that regard. Select a good litter by looking at the parents and their credentials. Mostly, have they been health tested. Trials and hunt tests and titles are nice as they give an idea of potential, but in my opinion, not necessary. If you can get a high bred, titled champion....great! If not, that's okay too. I just want to make sure the parents are actual hunters and if possible, watch them work. Some of the worst field dogs I've seen were champion hunt testers and some of the best, not titled at all. I've also seen the opposite. Just make sure the parents will hunt. Things I look for in selecting a pup are activeness, boldness, attentiveness, good looks. Watch the pups play for a while, see how the interact with you and the other pups. I like to find one that holds attention on things like a thrown toy and is not easily distracted. I also like a pup that is not timid and likes to move around. I want one who will look me in the eyes. Lastly, all things being equal, I want a pup that looks good and has the color/marking/head/face etc. that I like. It may not be the top priority, but it does matter! There are no hard rules to it, this is just the way I do it. Others may be different. The pup will most likely pick you. What comes after you select a pup matters WAY more! Good luck on your journey with your new best hunting buddy...there is not much more rewarding in hunting than doing it with your well trained dog!

Be sure that you match well with the selected breed and it serves the purposes you want. GSP's are great dogs and beautiful, I thought I wanted one at one point as well. They didn't really match up with my hunting and lifestyle so I went another direction. They are HIGH energy, like 3-4 hours a day exercise. You seem like your mind is set and you've done your research so I'll say no more in that regard. Select a good litter by looking at the parents and their credentials. Mostly, have they been health tested. Trials and hunt tests and titles are nice as they give an idea of potential, but in my opinion, not necessary. If you can get a high bred, titled champion....great! If not, that's okay too. I just want to make sure the parents are actual hunters and if possible, watch them work. Some of the worst field dogs I've seen were champion hunt testers and some of the best, not titled at all. I've also seen the opposite. Just make sure the parents will hunt. Things I look for in selecting a pup are activeness, boldness, attentiveness, good looks. Watch the pups play for a while, see how the interact with you and the other pups. I like to find one that holds attention on things like a thrown toy and is not easily distracted. I also like a pup that is not timid and likes to move around. I want one who will look me in the eyes. Lastly, all things being equal, I want a pup that looks good and has the color/marking/head/face etc. that I like. It may not be the top priority, but it does matter! There are no hard rules to it, this is just the way I do it. Others may be different. The pup will most likely pick you. What comes after you select a pup matters WAY more! Good luck on your journey with your new best hunting buddy...there is not much more rewarding in hunting than doing it with your well trained dog!
thanks!

I am not your guy to answer that question , however I have a friend and his wife breeds GSP's in Johns Creek area. They breed for quality hunting dogs /companions. they are outstanding pets and great pointers. They are not a "puppy" mill . If you have not chosen where you are going to get one, I would highly recommend these folks. My GSP just turned four, She has an incredible nose, great instincts , great companion as well as great around young children and people in general. These dogs are very energetic and need to get out often. If ya need a name and number, shoot me a PM.

Hope this helps,

Bibs

Attachments

• Sadie.jpg
    Sadie.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 16
so what hunting dog breed you selected?

so what hunting dog breed you selected?
Boykin Spaniels. I do more duck and dove hunting and required more of a retriever. My Boykins will flush upland birds, but they don't point. The are smaller than GSP's and usually need less exercise, an hour or so. They fit us better. Nothing wrong with a GSP though if they fit your needs. They are intelligent, elegant, and good dogs generally. Different tools for different jobs.

Unless you can spend a lot of time with them, I wouldnt suggest a GSP, thinking about getting rid of mine. She destroys everything. If I'm not throwing her a tennis ball, she's eating something expensive.

Hi there! I'm pretty much set on getting GSP as my new hunting, companion dog. I have plenty of experience with working dogs training and aspects, but when it comes to hunting pups, are there any suggestions how to chose the more hunting talented pup from the litter?

Regards
if you want a retriever, look into a standard poodle. Yes I just said that.

Back
Top Bottom