• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Choke Tube Recommendations

Jdadams

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
28   0
Reaction score
I recently picked up an over under 12 gauge and I’m looking to add some after market chokes. I will use this for pheasant and quail and then obviously shooting clays. What are your recommendations? I’m thinking extended tubes and ported.

Thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated.

TIA

Jeff

Take the time to set up a pattern board and see what you are getting from what you have. Shoot patterns at 30-40 yards with what you have using shells you will hunt or shoot clays with… if you are getting good even coverage you may not need them. Always check first as “new ones“ may not be “better ones”

This was packed with my CZ over/under….

7A13C853-0D61-44BF-B5BC-F14CED8DC9C6.jpeg

To start I suggest you put one full and one mod and learn to load and select your barrels to try to optimize your pattern for what you are facing.

With 28 inch barrels you’ll prolly hit more with regular chokes

When you are shooting you don’t want to be fussing with your chokes. Think about leading

IMHO, Ported Choke Tubes are a GIMMICK to put more $$$ in the Choke Maker's Wallet--Extended Choke Tubes are easier to change, no doubt, but then again, they're more expensive, too...

There are a LOT of "High Dollar" Choke Tubes out there that have absurd claims made about how they pattern--The truth is, the English in the 18th Century figured out all you really need to know about Chokes; All the rest is just high-priced GIMMICKRY...

I have "Mike'd" a LOT of Choke Tubes and while ALL of the "High Dollar" Chokes are generally exactly as marked, the same cannot be said for some of the moderate- or lesser-priced Chokes out there--IMO, the best VALUE in Choke Tubes are those made by Carlson's; YMMV...

Back
Top Bottom