• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cherokee/Pickens deer processing

I would drive 2 hours just to get my deer to Southers in Murrayville.
You always get YOUR deer…..no mix and match.
Vacuum sealed cuts and plastic wrapped and then bagged ground meat.
Take deer to them whole , dressed out or not.
I do know they’re pretty full right now.
I’ve dealt with several processors in the area over the years and Southers is the only one that doesent give you someone else’s deer meat mixed in with yours or not yours at all.
There’s never deer sitting on a floor , they go straight into the cooler to hang after they dress and or hose them down right in front of you.
If anything there might be a couple deer laying there from recent drop offs but they get them in quick.
Their place doesent look like the holy grail of dream processor places but I’ve seen their operation behind the scenes and your tag stay with your deer from hook to bin when they chop it up.
I’ve had many conversations with Chuck, Joe, Max and the boys and they have the friendliest atmosphere of any processor I’ve dealt with…..of course that’s if they’re not too busy at the moment to talk.
I love this place and I hope they never close down but I always have this fear that it’s just too good to be true.
If this happens I’ll have to make room and time at home and do my own.
That’s a long haul! But hey we do what we gotta do! I’ll keep them in mind. Appreciate it

When I called up Findleys asking about cutting up cows and deer. They pretty quickly said they don’t do that. Maybe it was just the one I called, but the one I talked to didn’t do butchering like that.
Findley's is awesome. Used them for years, they make great sausage. You have to bring it quartered. Don't go to Sandy's. Trust me on that, I've seen pile's of deer laying out in the hot sun. I'll never return.

We just used Buffalo Steel Butchery in Dawsonville. Dropped it off on the 15th, started dressing while we were there. Gave them instructions how we wanted the meat and they said one week. It actually took two weeks and they are not accepting ANY new kills (cow, pig or deer). They had 133 deer on a Saturday and similar number in the previous two days. The meat was vacuum packed and labeled. Worked out to $2.18 a pound for back strap, steak, stew and ground. Definitely use them again (and again, and again...)

Honestly I don't think that I would be able to see if the meet I receive is from my deer or from another deer. Is there a simple way to see it?

I took a doe last week to a processor, and another guy just before me brought in a gut shot buck that was not field dressed, FML. Here's to hoping that none of my meat is affected by his! I've been watching enough videos that I'm just going to process my own in the future or try to.

Back
Top Bottom