• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Changing trust name?

Just have to get it notarized again, therefore you will have 2 Trust's...if you already have things on the 1st one.

I'm sure you could but then you would have to transfer your items to the newly named trust and to me that would mean the 200$ all over again. Because your'e basically creating a new trust. Thats just my thoughts.

Hmmmm... But if you make changing to trustees or anything else besides name, its still the same trust. So changing the trust name would mean a whole new trust. Would it make the items on the trust invalid? I guess it would be easier to just make a whole new trust and keep both...

Hmmmm... But if you make changing to trustees or anything else besides name, its still the same trust. So changing the trust name would mean a whole new trust. Would it make the items on the trust invalid? I guess it would be easier to just make a whole new trust and keep both...

yeah, I would think that renaming it would be seen as the same thing as just making a new one.

My understanding (IANAL) is that an amendment to a revocable trust can be used to change the trust name without creating a new trust, but you may run into issues if you have any NFA items in the trust, the NFA (according to some people) does not allow changing the name without considering it a transfer requiring a form 4. This issue also causes problems for people changing their names. It's legal to change your name (or your trust's name) but the NFA registers the firearm to your name so a change of name requires a form 4 and an additional tax stamp. IANAL- some or all of this information may be invalid.... I have not found any ATF letters to confirm or deny any of the above however.

Some of that information is only sourced from here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_50/347459_Rename_an_existing_Trust___NFA.html

Last edited:
Start a new trust ... no big deal to have multiple trusts. Just have it notarized and you are good to go. Put the new SBR in the new trust keep the old stuff in the old trust, easy enough.

Back
Top Bottom