Changing stocks of same gun type out!!

tlw1179

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
168   0
Reaction score
If i had say (2) savage 110 in different calibers both being wood , (1) is already sighted in and the other is not , will swapping the stocks out change my accuracy in the one that is sighted in . I want the best looking stock on the gun i leave in the safe and the one that has a few scratches i'm going to hunt with

Are the stocks identical (other than the scuffs)?

If so, I don't see how it would affect your accuracy. Although, I sometimes don't see the obvious.

yeah there identical , one was better taken care of and i would like to leave one that way. I didn't think it would hurt anything , there not pressed in or bedded with anything. I still need to shoot a few rifles before season starts anyway so i guess it wouldn't matter.

Simply removing and replacing the same stock can make changes in poi. Even if it's well bedded, I wouldn't hunt with any rifle that I'd had apart without first shooting and confirming its poi and accuracy hadn't been affected. I always torque the stocks to the same values they were at when they shot best. Just my experience, good luck CD.

Per the savage website.
Are the stocks on the 110 and 111 interchangeable?

For the most part, the stocks on the 10/110 and 11/111 are interchangeable. However, you must make sure that the action screw spacing is the same for the gun and stock. For example, you can not use the stock from a centerline feed model on an older, staggered feed model. You will have to ensure that you are purchasing the correct stock from the dealer. You can also contact Savage customer service with your serial number to find out which feed you have.

I was looking for an article written by Stan Pate about tuning the action in the stock using the action screws but could not find it. This was for pre accustock rifles.
I found it.
Just be careful how much torque you put on a wood stock that's not pillar bedded because it will pull the escutcheon through the wood. This will damage the stock as well as cause the action screws to bind up the bolt.
If it's properly pillar bedded then torque away.
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom