• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Carrying on an empty chamber?

Do you carry on an empty chamber?

• Total voters
what if you had something in your other hand?

IE a baby, sandwich, beer

wouldn’t that change that 1/2 second?

It depends

What kind of sandwich ?
What brand of beer ?
Do I like the kid ?

Sure it would - You can what if anything you know

And those examples would affect your time regardless

These folks that carry on an empty chamber are flat out stupid. What is gonna happen when you are blindsided by being shot (look at some of the shootings), let's say shot in the shoulder so your off hand is rendered useless. How are you going to return fire? When you're getting mugged at gunpoint how are you gonna draw your weapon and rack it before homeboy shoots you? The whole point of carrying a pistol is incase you need it. When you need it it needs to be loaded, so why carry it unloaded. Adrenaline is gonna be flowing and half the fudds carrying unchambered are gonna forget or **** up. You can say whatever you want about doing it at competitions or shooting at paper but unless you've drawn a firearm in high stress situation before you can't sit there tell anyone carry empty is better or safer. I wanna see someone draw his unloaded pistol on the guy who posturing at them with a knife or firearm.

To me, the requirement that you have two hands available to make your pistol ready to shoot is the deal-breaker.
Not the half-second it would tack (with practice) to rack the slide as part of your draw and presentation.
Not the loss of one round of ammo capacity.
I want to be able to draw and shoot one-handed, if need be, in case my other hand is busy deflecting punches or knife thrusts, or my other hand is occupied with a phone or flashlight or something.

I used them in synchrony, to illustrate a point... You have superpowers of unbelievable proportion when it comes to your "Rack Game" and "Situational Awareness" we all get that..

But your Chambered Weapon game sounds weak.......

Me racking and drawing proficiently is a product of that’s all I’ve ever done - and my situational awareness is a product of I’ve always been pretty much paranoid - So there’s that

You can make fun of it with your superpowers comment but that doesn’t change the fact that no one shoots themselves on an empty chamber & the cure would cost little In the grand scheme of things

I understand that this flies in the face of a high percentage of the experts apparently on ODT - And I’m completely fine with that - Sad they can’t seem to be likewise

My way has it’s merits and some drawbacks just as the reverse does

My original response to this thread was only to defend that which was being heavily **** upon

It really matters not to me because it’s not my thigh that will be shot & there’s always the possibility that our community can be entertained by the video later

i carry da/sa...always one in the tube. I like sigs...and S&W snubbies...no reason to not carry ready to roll. IF I carried a Glock, I would practice not shooting myself.
All my SD’s are DA/SA or DAO, one in the tube hammer down. Safety off it it has one. I’m getting up in age and if it ever - and I hope it never- comes down to having to pull for self defense I want as little as necessary to have to think about when it comes to using in defense. The heavy first trigger pull gives my mind that little added safety margin against a ND. I was taught on 1911’s handling cocked and locked and carried and trained that way. I switched a few years back to my now carry routine for the added piece of mind.

Back
Top Bottom