• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cardio or weight training?

To build mass your protein intake is based on your current lean body mass and should be 1-1.5gr/lb of it. Realistically if you find an accurate bmr and break down your fats calories carbs proteins and fiber (cal protein carb being most important) you'll find it a million times easier to build that mass.

Set up on a base macronutrient intake level (again based on your goals and bmr) and do it for 2 weeks with no cardio or only cardio on rest days (2-3wk) and weigh yourself nude after using the bathroom at the same time each morning, record that weight and after your beginning period of tracking those macros you can adjust as need be.

And in regards to shtf, when ialwayscardio runs into food source problems what fuel will his body have ? Muscle (even as a last resort) can still be broken down slowly by your body if it needs to to keep you alive.

having enough wind to move from point A to point B is key to survival. Back in the day, we trained with minimum 75 lb ruck at 12 miles with a 3 hour standard. The smaller guys were sucking wind from the weight the bigger guys were sucking wind from the speed.. the middle of the road bodies were dipping copenhagen

Copenhagen...ugh! Tried that once on guard patrol with a friend. Couldn't walk straight, hell couldn't SEE straight and damn near puked my guts out. I may be slow but I DO learn. ;)

To build mass your protein intake is based on your current lean body mass and should be 1-1.5gr/lb of it. Realistically if you find an accurate bmr and break down your fats calories carbs proteins and fiber (cal protein carb being most important) you'll find it a million times easier to build that mass.

Set up on a base macronutrient intake level (again based on your goals and bmr) and do it for 2 weeks with no cardio or only cardio on rest days (2-3wk) and weigh yourself nude after using the bathroom at the same time each morning, record that weight and after your beginning period of tracking those macros you can adjust as need be.

Uhhh....I'm one of those people who always talk about how you never USE all that damn algebra. Don't make me have to go learn any. LOL.

That's how I ALWAYS weigh myself. In fact when really working on the diet I would q-tip my ears and blow my nose before I weighed just in case I could get one...more...tick out of the scale. ;)

I hit a wall this morning. I got my workout and geared up for my roadwork. Strapped on the weights around my wrists and headed out. Less than half way into it I was sucking wind real bad. By the time I made the turn I stopped and took the weights off my wrists hooked them together and threw them over my shoulder. All the run went out of my legs and all the lift went out of my arms. Usually, I work out Mon/Tue, take off Wed, work out Thu/Fri and take the weekend off. I wonder if hitting 3 days in a row broker pattern enough to slam me. Taking tomorrow off(although I may do the walk still, sans weights of course).

Over the last several months my dieting has gotten erratic and I have put back 20 of the 60 pounds I lost from when I started last year. But I have also firmed up and increased strength everywhere. Oh, I still have a hearty layer of neoprene but you can sure see that it's keeping a hell of a six pack protected.
You have to figure how much muscle weight you've GAINED. Obviously it's a lot heavier than fat/water weight. I wouldn't freak out about 'some' weight back on if you are seeing the results you are after. Not a fan of artificial protein supplements. But yes, they do produce results. The 'cost' would be my concern. If your goal is only weight loss. Run/cardio. Go to the next road race and note the physique of 'most' of the runners. If it's reduced body fat and muscle, do both. Good luck.

Well.... well.... well..... THAT is just perfect and sure explains some things! :pound:

Copenhagen...ugh! Tried that once on guard patrol with a friend. Couldn't walk straight, hell couldn't SEE straight and damn near puked my guts out. I may be slow but I DO learn. ;)

Uhhh....I'm one of those people who always talk about how you never USE all that damn algebra. Don't make me have to go learn any. LOL.

That's how I ALWAYS weigh myself. In fact when really working on the diet I would q-tip my ears and blow my nose before I weighed just in case I could get one...more...tick out of the scale. ;)

You don't need any algebra (that crap is still useless :P) its simple multiplication.
If you (or whoever) want me to help you work out a starting number shoot me an email bflee87@gmail.com

And whoever said low reps high weight for bulk is completely wrong, low reps high weight actually burns significantly more calories than any other weight training. Bulk is years of training, coupled with mixed schedules, muscle confusion, and a solid diet.

Last edited:
You have to figure how much muscle weight you've GAINED. Obviously it's a lot heavier than fat/water weight. I wouldn't freak out about 'some' weight back on if you are seeing the results you are after. Not a fan of artificial protein supplements. But yes, they do produce results. The 'cost' would be my concern. If your goal is only weight loss. Run/cardio. Go to the next road race and note the physique of 'most' of the runners. If it's reduced body fat and muscle, do both. Good luck.

Well.... well.... well..... THAT is just perfect and sure explains some things! :pound:

First..LOL!

Second, no I don't wanna look like Marathon runner. Although apparently sprinters can be a bit more balanced. And I guess you are right about the weight itself. I forget to switch focus now that the fat is down to just a few spots that bother me and not all over padding. But DAMN those few spots! LOL!

View attachment 214119

You don't need any algebra (that crap is still useless :P) its simple multiplication.
If you (or whoever) want me to help you work out a starting number shoot me an email bflee87@gmail.com

And whoever said low reps high weight for bulk is completely wrong, low reps high weight actually burns significantly more calories than any other weight training. Bulk is years of training, coupled with mixed schedules, muscle confusion, and a solid diet.
Exactly! Low and slow = Fat burn, fast is glucose and you'll end up smoked and you can't exercise anymore for the day and fat goes nowhere

Back
Top Bottom