• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Camp Perry rifle question

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I got this newsletter from the CMP the other day.

Check out this photo, of a person shooting an M1 Garand at the rifle range at
Camp Perry, OH (the targets are on the edge of a cliff overlooking Lake Erie, so a special cordoned-off area of the lake is the "backstop" in use here).

The person's rifle looks elevated 30 degrees above horizontal.
Yet he just fired a shot-- the empty case just ejected and is only 2 feet away, flying thu the air.
Even from the unsupported standing position, an M1 doesn't have that much muzzle rise due to recoil, and maximum recoil movement wouldn't have happened this quickly anyway-- the shooter's mass would mean that the fired case should be a lot farther away by the time his body was rocked back to the highest point of muzzle climb.

Is this pic photoshopped, do you think?

Did they snap a pic of a shooter about to settle into a firing stance, and then add the shell case later to "fake" a photo of what they wanted to portray?

NationalMatches21_History-1024x768.jpg

P.S. I assume he's shooting from 200 yards (I don't know any longer distance where you shoot from the unsupported standing position, except in metallic silhouette matches). So from 200 yards, he doesn't need much elevation to account for bullet drop. Less than 1 degree, surely.

Standing slow fire, so he's allowing the recoil impulse to expend all energy upon firing. I do the same thing. He'll reload at the hip before returning the rifle to his shoulder to again find natural point of aim.

Yep. Nail on the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom