Calling on the ODT welders.

Marietta tony

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
122   0
Reaction score
As I have retired from carpentry, I have built several cable handrails for friends and family. I need t replace boards and stain my cedar deck. I would like to do a cable rail here. These are the drawings of what is needed. I am in Marietta but will travel long distances for them. I will drill and paint them, Might even powder coat.

Kirsten 2.jpg

I have a 4 1/2 band so thinking 4x4 base to level and a 2x2 post with angle to bolt the top cap on. The top material is to be determined by budget. Here are some drawings I made while dreaming and drinking. what say you?
odt handrail 2.jpg
odt handrail.jpg

\
23 total

Hope you can make it look right. When my wife and I renovated our home 5 years ago I tried the metal handrail setup around a set of stairs that go to our basement. Just absolutely didn’t look good. Didn’t fit the surroundings I guess. So I built a cable system using oak. I am not a carpenter! But, they turned out decent and look a helluva lot better than the metal railing we tried. If you don’t find a ODT’r that can help give ST Metals in Marietta a call. They can fab anything you need in metal. Good luck!

C688ACA4-2853-46DE-9C22-F93C259870ED.jpeg

The picture looks good to me. You might be a carpenter in hiding. When I was a carpenter I made a living on turning pictures into reality. In the early 90's after a front porch detail for a show of homes house we were asked to build a deck from this strange material, Trex. From that they flew my crew and I to Texas and we built 5 modular decks for trade shows. The deal there was if anyone called the 800 number for info within 200 miles the information was faxed to me within 24 hours.

I still have it and am looking to do something at my house I did for others for so many years.

Use turnbuckles to adjust when the wood wears to keep it inline
Actually, one end is adjustable for tension. If I did it over again I would alternate , fixed/ adjustable/ fixed / adjustable. Meaning swap ends each run.
The picture looks good to me. You might be a carpenter in hiding. When I was a carpenter I made a living on turning pictures into reality. In the early 90's after a front porch detail for a show of homes house we were asked to build a deck from this strange material, Trex. From that they flew my crew and I to Texas and we built 5 modular decks for trade shows. The deal there was if anyone called the 800 number for info within 200 miles the information was faxed to me within 24 hours.

I still have it and am looking to do something at my house I did for others for so many years.
thank you sir!

So, are you wanting to replicate what you have in steel? 2X2 posts with angle brackets on top, and plates on bottom? 40 inches tall? How many posts? Am I seeing stair posts as well?

Look at pics/ drawings. 6 middles 5 end 4 corner and 8 stairs. Will through bolt top plate with stainless. I can drill and tap. 3/8" lag bolts to anchor the bottoms with washers to level.

Back
Top Bottom