• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Calling all Fellow Idiots - of the Stainless Steel Variety

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
I have a Colt Commander SS that I gave a moderate Idiot Scratch - because yes, I am an idiot. I did a web search and saw Scotch Brite Ultra Fine as a potential solution. I just finished and have attached the before and after photos. Unless I hold the gun under the light just so, and look hard, the scratch appears to be gone. I'd say 90%. Photos 1 and 3 are before.

The down side is that I could not find small quantities of the Ultra Fine (tho I didn't look super duper hard). I bought a package of maybe 25 - 4 x 8 sheets on Amazon for about $30. ??? About, I dunno.

Anyway I needed about a 1x1 inch sheet to do the job. If anyone wants to try this out drop me a PM with your address and I will send you 1/2 a sheet. Postage is on me - I love this site.

Frank

photo 2(2).jpgphoto 3(8).jpgphoto 1(4).jpgphoto 4(5).jpg

Last edited:
I use the red, followed by the gray scotchbrite. Rub it front to back to front ONLY!(not up and down) If you run over the whole gun with the gray, it will look awesome! Not quite polished, but pretty clean!

Wow, that turned out well!

Nice job!

Did you use it dry or use some kind of lube along with the pad?

PM sent.

Wow, that turned out well!

Nice job!

Did you use it dry or use some kind of lube along with the pad?

PM sent.

A little spit. :) And I didn't pay any attention to which way I rubbed. It turned out well, next time I will go in one direction.

Frank

PM replied.

Nice job, I have a Colt Gold Cup that I bought from a friend about 15 years ago that has a slight mark of the same nature on it. It was his first 1911 and was a little to much for him. I need to try that on it.

Back
Top Bottom