Buying atv /utv out of state .

Yep.

I bought my Rhino out of state in Alabama. One of the big selling points they kept throwing at me was "no sales tax" had to be paid by me.

When I questioned this, they said it was up to me to pay the tax in Georgia, but that they would never notify Georgia that I bought it from them.

I told them that if that issue came up, then it would be my story that the sales tax was included in the purchase price, and that the dealer would be responsible. They sort of laughed and said "yea, OK".

Sure enough, about 5 years later I get a letter from the dealership telling me they have been through a "general audit" and it was discovered that they had failed to charge me sales tax on my purchase. I should please remit a check in the amount of $XXX.XX

I sent them a letter back, along with a copy to my lawyer, saying they must have been messing with their books, and that the sales tax was part of my purchase price and I could not imagine why they had not turned in the tax to the State of Alabama. If the State of Alabama needed me to testify, then I would be willing to come back and do that.

That was around 2006 and I have not heard from them since........

Jerry

The state of GA will catch up with you and sales tax. 1st hand experience. Even though ATV/UTV are not registered vehicles. There is a little thing called an MSO. It may take a while for the MSO to get to the GA Department of Revenue but believe me it will. They will contact you in 3-5 years for their money.

If they are not registered ,and do not have to be registered what is the diff in buying a shirt over the phone vs a utv over the phone . I know they have a certificate of orgin ,but not being registered like a car would it not be just like buying a bigger faster matel jeep for a kid ?

Let me just say... I bought an ATV from a dealer in TN. 3 years pass and I get a bill for back taxes from the GA Department of Revenue. They do get an MSO from the manufacturer and they take their time getting back to you.

Back in the day you could buy from GA dealers without them charging sales tax if you filled out the "vehicle used for Farm Use Only form, but dealers got burned too many times and nowadays won't play ball.

If buying in person, all dealers, including the out of state dealers, are "EITHER" supposed to charge sales tax at the their state/county rate OR collect it for Georgia at your county rate.

I'm 99.9 % sure that if you buy it out of state "over the phone or internet" and have it shipped to you in GA (cannot be picked up) then sales tax is not collected by the selling dealer... BUT you're supposed to pay the tax to GA dept of Revenue via the "honor system".

OP, I know you have a LARGE farm, so I would call around small GA dealers to see if any still allow the For Farm Use sales tax exclusion.

I could use a GATE card ,but this is for personal use ,and I have already heard talk of revamping because of misuse of it so I don't want to be part of the problem .

I've always bought atv's and dirt bikes from dealers out of state when buying new, and have never been hit with any sales tax or letter from GA. I've never heard of any of my coworkers or friends being hit with it either. Not saying it can't happen, but I'd rather take a chance and pay it later if needed, than to pay it now just in case.

Back
Top Bottom