• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Butchering your own deer

For me it was always a question of am I getting back the deer I shot or packed out of a batch process
Yes almost all that I’m aware of process several at a time, that’s why so many weigh them, they give you back according to the weight. I can’t stand it because I have seen deer dropped off after an hour or more ride not even field dressed. I don’t want mine mixed with that

i do all of mine myself. every time i use a processor i get.. less meat, gamey meat, poor cuts and no real value...
there is a respect for the animal when you do it yourself. you get more of the deer, you defiantly get your deer and not just how many pounds of meat. i have felt many times i would get real gamey old stringy buck meat when i dropped of a nice young doe or forky.
its not real hard to do and i think i put up a recipe of my 24 hour brine in cooking and recipes. if not i will. when you brine it and then pull it from the freezer, it smells like you could just eat it out of the bag...
processors have a place if you live in a apartment, or somewhere you cant clean a deer. but if you have a yard or a spot on the hunting land, field dress asap ( i always carry a 5 gallon bucket and some 55 gallon trash bags so i can field dress and hall out the guts) get it home, skin it, process it, and brine it..
if you can build a fire and sharpen a stick when cleaning. then roast a good cut of meat while you are working on it. makes a great snack...
always go for a clean shot, always feel a little bad after, always thank the animal, appreciate Gods bounty, go for as little waste as possible, find a spot for the carcass so other animals can eat it, and get in the woods early.........
poop

I “butcher” all mine myself except 1-2 a year i take in to someone i trust and have it ground into sausage. I dont have a mixer or grinder all though its on my Christmas list this year lol. I have the guys recipe he uses for the sausage i like so once I get the equipment i will do everything myself.

Back
Top Bottom