• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Burning

What we have found in our burning is;
- birds love hanging around during the burn if not too smokey
- turkeys love coming through after the burn
- the burned areas have little ticks or chiggers after the burn - the areas burned myself and my kids go through all Spring and Summer and not one tick nor chiggers. In areas pre-burn where we got ticks and chiggers.

20240225_193349.jpg

That is correct that was what used be taught in wildlife mgt classes some burning is good but u need some areas un burnt within the area being burnt.
wildlife management classes for me was more spot burning for the benefit of more cover, browse and seeds... when I moved over to timber management it was like just keep all of it scorched so its a nice looking pine plantation. lol. (and easier on harvest day)

wildlife management classes for me was more spot burning for the benefit of more cover, browse and seeds... when I moved over to timber management it was like just keep all of it scorched so its a nice looking pine plantation. lol. (and easier on harvest day)
DId you do wildlife or forestry mgmt in college or did you take some public classes? Id be interested in knowing what public classes are out there to take. Id like to get more knowledge on the subjects. I know the Griffin UGA campus hosts a class once a year in december for a prescribed fire certification but they want you to already have a few documented burns under your belt before taking it.

Burning is great when done correctly. I have several stands that I burn on a three year schedule. So every year I burn two or three stands. Some are only three acres+ and go up to about 15 acres. All natural timber.

DId you do wildlife or forestry mgmt in college or did you take some public classes? Id be interested in knowing what public classes are out there to take. Id like to get more knowledge on the subjects. I know the Griffin UGA campus hosts a class once a year in december for a prescribed fire certification but they want you to already have a few documented burns under your belt before taking it.
college/ABAC. worked on a quail/deer plantation for 3 years so got some decent experience under my belt.
My wife signed up for a volunteer class coming up (thru a women only group) (and because she's interested in burning) So maybe get in touch with DNR and see if you can help out sometime. I did some volunteer work on Sapelo Is tranquilizing deer and pulling blood samples, that was real fun.

I was hoping to burn about 20 acres yesterday afternoon but they wouldn't give me a permit because they were concerned about the smoke settling over a highway about 2 miles away.

I was hoping to burn about 20 acres yesterday afternoon but they wouldn't give me a permit because they were concerned about the smoke settling over a highway about 2 miles away.
Ridiculous. The smoke was going up and There was a gentle wind that was dispersing the smoke. Just like it’s supposed to do.

What county?

Back
Top Bottom