Buried my cat this morning

This isn't a thread to get sympathy and it's not a joke so cat haters try to be serious.
I've had the cat since I adopted her as a rescue kitten from a vets office in CT over 12 years ago, so she was almost 13 and I knew she probably didn't have many years left, but she never lost her appetite and still got around with no noticeable difficulty or pain.
I have been keeping her in the garage at night and let her out Friday AM as usual. Got home 11 hours later and she wasn't around but the landlord had been here all day working under the house on a burst pipe and had his dogs with him.
Friday night came and went and no cat. Saturday AM she wasn't around but she has wandered off for a day before so I didn't think anything of it. Walked the yard and wood line yesterday before dark but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Get up this AM and stood on the porch waiting for my coffee to brew and still nothing.
About an hour later my brother (who I live with) calls me to come outside. He says 'is that your cat?' I walk over near the pond and find the body of what appears to be my cat but it is so water-logged and decomposed that at first I am not sure. The front of her head was missing and she had maggots moving around there and near her rear. Her body and legs showed no sign of damage, and she wasn't stiff when I wrapped her in an old towel.
I know she was not laying there last night and am not sure that I wouldn't have seen her there this AM. No tracks anywhere around her and we have had some rain here so the ground is soft. I haven't heard coyotes in months and think my brothers dog would bark at a stray dog in the yard. We do have a family of foxes that we see pretty regularly.
So, I assumed if she was sick that I would have found her in the garage. Would a fox or coyote only kill her and not eat her?
Did my brother or the landlord run over her and throw the body in the pond and then something dragged her out? Did one of their dogs kill her and they hid the body?
I don't like the thought that either of them would do that but I am not ready to rule it out at this time.
Any theories?
Sorry for your loss.

I know the feeling all too well. I have my own pet cemetery here with dozens I've buried over the years. Some have just disappeared.

Found this photo of when I was packing in PA to move back to GA after my divorce. She slept in the weirdest places.
Minniecooper.jpg

This isn't a thread to get sympathy and it's not a joke so cat haters try to be serious.
I've had the cat since I adopted her as a rescue kitten from a vets office in CT over 12 years ago, so she was almost 13 and I knew she probably didn't have many years left, but she never lost her appetite and still got around with no noticeable difficulty or pain.
I have been keeping her in the garage at night and let her out Friday AM as usual. Got home 11 hours later and she wasn't around but the landlord had been here all day working under the house on a burst pipe and had his dogs with him.
Friday night came and went and no cat. Saturday AM she wasn't around but she has wandered off for a day before so I didn't think anything of it. Walked the yard and wood line yesterday before dark but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Get up this AM and stood on the porch waiting for my coffee to brew and still nothing.
About an hour later my brother (who I live with) calls me to come outside. He says 'is that your cat?' I walk over near the pond and find the body of what appears to be my cat but it is so water-logged and decomposed that at first I am not sure. The front of her head was missing and she had maggots moving around there and near her rear. Her body and legs showed no sign of damage, and she wasn't stiff when I wrapped her in an old towel.
I know she was not laying there last night and am not sure that I wouldn't have seen her there this AM. No tracks anywhere around her and we have had some rain here so the ground is soft. I haven't heard coyotes in months and think my brothers dog would bark at a stray dog in the yard. We do have a family of foxes that we see pretty regularly.
So, I assumed if she was sick that I would have found her in the garage. Would a fox or coyote only kill her and not eat her?
Did my brother or the landlord run over her and throw the body in the pond and then something dragged her out? Did one of their dogs kill her and they hid the body?
I don't like the thought that either of them would do that but I am not ready to rule it out at this time.
Any theories?
Sounds Like a scene from Netflix Ozark…

My eyes are getting heavy now, my time has come to leave,
but one thing I must tell you as you stay behind to grieve…

You always did your best for me, your love it knew no end,
I really was a lucky cat to have you as a friend.

I see how much you miss me now, your days seem bleak and bare,
I know you well, your heart is big, you still have love to share.

So please don’t sit and cry for me, we’ll meet around the bend,
Til’ then another lucky cat is waiting for a friend.

Man that is just terrible. Prayers for you and hopefully you will just remember the good times. Don’t beat yourself up trying to figure it out. If it someone you know they will eventually slip up. Sorry for your loss. 13 years is a long time and she was loved everyone of those years.

Had two cats when I got my old dog Monroe. They hated him but soon warmed up and became pals. When they died, I wasn’t happy, but he was downright distraught for months each time. A pal is a pal, sorry to hear.

Back
Top Bottom