• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bullseye gun range on fire.

As good stewards of Liberty and Freedom RTBA folks generally respect other people's property but you cannot account for those that will not assume responsibility for their own actions. For this reason most ranges (even outdoors) I've visited incorporate a liability clause in their range waiver that must be signed before using the facility. I would assume it is vetted by company attorneys as to be enforceable upon occurrence. Here's one:

"I agree to be held financially responsible for any damage or destruction to the range and/or range equipment. I also agree to be held financially responsible for all claims or demands by any third party individuals who are harmed due to my use of any firearm or my actions while on the range. I have read, understand and agree to abide by all posted Range Rules and as listed on the back of this form."

That one calls out tracer rounds as being prohibited and in this instance would be applicable if a tracer round was indeed determined to be the cause and the person breaking said rule was identified.

When I've asked shooters why they are on an indoor range shooting 7mm Rem Mag or 5.56mm I get the usual, "It's the only place I have time to go to shoot."

I say to myself they aren't trying hard enough.

I shoot ARs and AKs all the time at indoor ranges. Shooting small bullseye targets offhand with iron sights is still a challenge at 25 yards or so, at least for me. A scoped rifle is a bit different, but I have done it to get a rough zero.

Mainly it's a question of time though, as you mention. I can get to the indoor range after work and get an hour or so of shooting in. Getting to any outdoor range with a 100 yard line pretty much means taking a day off from work.

I'd love to see more indoor ranges with 50 or 100 yards, but those are few and far between, and from what I've seen are pretty expensive. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford to live in the country and have a backyard range, but that aint today. If I want to get regular trigger time on my rifles an indoor range is a necessity for now.

Article stating that tracers were the cause. And once you light up tire rubber, tough to extinguish.

This ^^^

I wonder if this 'trend' will make ranges re-think using the shredded rubber backstops. From what I understand it's simply there to prolong the life of the armor behind it and allow you to shoot things like bi-metallic bullets with minimal plate damage.

Back
Top Bottom