• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Broke my EDC 1911. I am hoping i am not SOL

z.chance

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
93   0
Reaction score
I picked up a 1911 a few months back that was someones custom build. It basically is a Storm Lake Machine linkless kit on top of a caspian frame.

I was out shooting yesterday and the hook snapped off of the extractor. It is an external extractor, and I cant seem to find any that look similar on brownells, etc.

I called SLM, and actually was surprised that their phones work. They are not open on sundays. I am actually really terrified that the company is not in business because I haven't found much about them online and that their website seems old.

here is there website. you can see the odd extractor under the Linkless tab
http://www.stormlakemachine.8m.com/slm.htm

Not exactly sure why I am sharing this, but I am just worried and can't wait till tomorrow o (damn they might be closed for MLK) or tuesday to call them.

this is why i will not own a handgun that uses an external extractor. the internal extractor design of a traditional 1911 is far superior.

What makes the internal so much better? I have never really thought about one being better over the other. I got a great deal on this gun and it has been 100% up to now.

BTW, I was shooting 10mm when it broke, in a 10mm barrel of course. the gun came with a 40sw barrel too

They will all break! I've been shooting 1911's in competition for years and I have both and had both to fail. I shoot a STI Edge Custom in USPSA and I broke one in the middle of a state match and I shoot a Custom Sig Target in IDPA and I've had it to fail also both gun have will over 10k rounds thru them. My rule is to always carry and extra one in my range bag !!

*#^&#*#$&@#&

So, the old Storm Lake Machine that I had linked to above, is now the Storm Lake company that only makes barrels that pretty much everyone knows.

So it looks like the only option I have left to save this gun is to CAD up an extractor and have it wire EDM cut, or find one that I can make work. If anyone on here is really familiar with external extractor guns, I would love to meet up and pick your brain to see if we can find one to fit.

I know a guy in your area who is a 1911 master gunsmith. I will pm you his name and number when I get home tonight, if anyone can get it right he is the man.

John Harrison? I have seen his website. He does amazing work. I haven't tried contacting him yet

If its not him, I will be looking for your PM. Thanks for your help

If you dont break it, you arent using it enough.

Guns are tools, they can break occasionally, or even fail. Just because something happens is no reason to lose confidence in a tool or piece of equipment. It can all be fixed, it just takes time, and money.

If you dont break it, you arent using it enough.

Guns are tools, they can break occasionally, or even fail. Just because something happens is no reason to lose confidence in a tool or piece of equipment. It can all be fixed, it just takes time, and money.

I have not lost confidence. It is still one of my favorite handguns. I just didn't realize when I bought it that the extractor was specific to that brand slide, and extras were not available.

One thing I don't have is much patience, haha. I want it fixed ASAP, but I need money to get that done. If all else fails, I will have made a 3D model of the extractor, and will be contacting machine shops with a wire EDM in a week or two.

It will be fun to make it. Any idea if 6AL4V Titanium would hold up? Or do I need to source some tool steel?

Back
Top Bottom