Brand New S&W 460 Broke

There’s enough solid older revolvers out there that I won’t buy anything new from Colt or S&W. Granted, you won’t get an “old” .460, but you can get a Freedom Arms .454 Casull that is much stronger than a S&W.
Wanted the 460 for the ability to accept the varied ammo. They may be stronger but not a fan of the look of Freedom Arms.

There’s enough solid older revolvers out there that I won’t buy anything new from Colt or S&W. Granted, you won’t get an “old” .460, but you can get a Freedom Arms .454 Casull that is much stronger than a S&W.

That's a very fair point - I have a 19-4 from 1980 with far better fit and finish (including internal components) than my Performance Center 686.

Anyone else bought a brand new gun that immediately broke?

Not " immediately" but I did have the operating rod on my Springfield Armory M1A break in half when the gun was only about five years old and probably had only been fired a total of 500 times.

I had bought the rifle brand-new, back in 1985.

Wanted the 460 for the ability to accept the varied ammo. They may be stronger but not a fan of the look of Freedom Arms.
Smith double action for the win. It's your money, the only person that matters is you. If you're happy, that's all that matters. I've thought about the X frame, just never took the plunge

A little off topic, but since you mentioned warranty work and time I'd like to tell you guys about the excellent Ruger experience I had. I purchased a Blackhawk 44 born in 1976 from a gentleman out of Macon. I received it fully aware it had a broke ejector rod. This was around 2015 or so. So the gun was almost 40 years old. It was missing the ejector rod housing completely and the barrel where it screwed in was broke. I called Ruger and they asked me to send it in to look it over for a cost. Around a month later the gun showed back up on my door step. New Barrel, new ejector housing, no charge!

I bought this new and just couldn't stomach the GAP on a brand new unfired gun. When I say entire lower assembly flexing with the frame with light pressure on the trigger, while moving independently away from the slide and spring assembly; I decide it was going back to S&W. The return process was no hassle. Emailed me a shipping label. I put it a good box and dropped it at Fed-Ex. I'm now waiting the results. No I never fired it. My "Assumption" is.... All of these guns appear to have this condition to some extent and just might be the root cause as to why some jam and fail to feed while others do not.

Attachments

• S&W M&P 22MAG.jpg
    S&W M&P 22MAG.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 31
I bought my 500 S&W used about a decade ago. First time at the range the barrel came loose after a few rounds. Sent it to S&W and they fixed it for free and sent back in a few weeks. A few years later it was giving light primer strikes and not firing. Sent it back again and they fixed it for free and sent back in a few weeks. I've had no issues with S&W customer service.

A Freedom Arms in your hand looks better than your S&W sitting in their repair shop.

Check around the internet. You’ll find that failures with S&W’s X-frame revolvers (.500 and .460) are a well known thing.

A Freedom Arms in your hand looks better than your S&W sitting in their repair shop.

Check around the internet. You’ll find that failures with S&W’s X-frame revolvers (.500 and .460) are a well known thing.
I've been considering a BFR in 500 S&W to have it chambered for 500 Bushwacker.

Also would like to have one in 45-70.

Back
Top Bottom